UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2021, 12:27 pm   #1
Fleximaster
Diode

Default Pioneer PL-514 Scraping Platter

Hi all..

This is my 1st post, so please be gentle... I recently walked past a skip and saw a Pioneer PL-514 that someone was throwing out. Too good for the skip, so I took it home and am looking to get it back working again.

The first issue (Apart from it being rained on) was that the belt had disintegrated so I cleaned the mess and got a new belt.

The second issue was that the cartridge and housing had been removed at some point. I found a Pioneer one on t'internet for not much.

Last issue to resolve is that the platter is scraping on the metal guard underneath. the platter isn't warped and I think the issue is down to the spindle sagging under the weight of the platter. I have cleaned out the spindle and 're-lubed' it after replacing the ball-bearing and it is ok for a short while, but then the spindle sags again.

Any ideas what I can do? I could always put a spacer in however I do want to try and sort it out properly if poss.

Many thanks!

Pete
Old 13th Jul 2021, 2:28 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Pioneer PL-514 Scraping Platter

Looking at photographs online it seems that the spindle is attached to a sub-chassis which also has the motor mounted on it.

There must be some sort of 'suspension' between the main visible chassis and the sub-chassis.

Screws are sometimes used to make the suspension 'solid' so that the turntable can be transported.

Do you have a user manual?
Old 13th Jul 2021, 3:28 pm   #3
Fleximaster
Diode

Thanks for replying so quickly!

The spindle is made up of two parts. The lower part screws directly onto the chassis and has a hole into which a ball-bearing, some grease and the top part of the spindle slots into. There is a 'retaining hook' which is screwed to the bottom part which stops the top part from being pulled off.

There isn't a hole for any screws to go into the spindle from the side. I believe the suspension is just air trapped in the spindle cavity.

I have downloaded a user manual and service manual but didn't see any mention of spindle maintenance!
Old 13th Jul 2021, 5:02 pm   #4
vinrads
Dekatron

I think they should be a small ball bearing in the spindle cavity ,it would expel all the air and sit on the ball bearing I have seen this on other decks not sure about this one ! Mick.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 8:42 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Let's have some pictures.

I suspect Mick's right.

I had a 1970s Sony which had some kind of plasticy damping at the bottom of the bearing. This had squished flat over time and allowed the platter to sit too low.

N.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 9:42 pm   #6
Fleximaster
Diode

No probs. I'll upload some pics tomorrow. Currently the house is being renovated and I have a 7 month boy to contend with so tonight is busy for me!

You are right about the ball bearing in the cavity. However if it sits on the ball bearing then the platter scrapes.. I can't imagine the ball bearing is worn.. Pics will follow tomorrow!
Closed Thread