UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2021, 12:25 pm   #1
John10b
Nonode

Default Garrard 2025TC upgrade

The above deck uses a Sonotone 3509 cartridge. What deck, and what cartridge would be considered a step up in overall performance. Thank you.
John
Old 13th Jul 2021, 1:11 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC upgrade

Hi John,

I think you need to tell us more about the rest of the system.

As it stands, you have a basic "Autoslim" -based Garrard autochanger, albeit with a fairly lightweight arm and an (undamped) cueing lever. The motor is two-pole and the platter ferromagnetic. These are nice enough units though and were used in many halfway respectable, not-quite-hifi systems by Hacker, Bush and so on.

Something like an AT6 or AT60 is a bit posher and will drop straight in, or an SP25 if you don't need to stack records.

As for the cartridge, does it need to be ceramic? I like the BSR SC11M and SC12M but even those are hard to come by nowadays, though you can often find them attached to sad old Fidelity etc. etc. systems which are being thrown out, and they usually work fine after a new stylus is fitted. The generic Chinese "red" ones are reputed to be reasonable, and are certainly a better proposition than something NOS which will have been stored for 40+ years, and whose rubber bits will have deteriorated accordingly.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 1:53 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

The Sonotone 35xx series are excellent ceramic carts. If it works, you are unlikely to find anything better. As Nick says, the next step up would be a magnetic type but then you'd run int hum problems.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 3:03 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Thank you both, I should have said that the deck and Cartridge along with the Transistor amp was rescued,separately, from the rubbish tip, some while ago. I made the cabinet and covered it with rexine. I fitted the above, and it works very nicely, but I always intended to make and fit a valve amp. This is the stage I’m at now, and I was just seeking opinions about the deck and cartridge. Thanks.
John
Old 13th Jul 2021, 4:51 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Still not enough information, I mean what kind of valve amp are you thinking of bulding?
If it's something like Mullard 3-3 kit with a high-impedence input, then your existing Garrard 2025TC and Sonotone cartrirgde will be ideal. But if it's something more sopisticated, then a far better deck, MM cartridge and pre-amp will be needed ahead of the valve amplfier.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 6:34 pm   #6
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Edward, yes something on the lines of the Mullard 3 or 10 watt, but I’m also working to a budget, and I’m trying to use up all the components I’ve gathered over the years.
In view of what’s been said I’ll stick to the Sonotone cartridge, so would there be any benefit in getting another deck, and if so which deck?
John
Old 13th Jul 2021, 8:22 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A Garrard SP25. In my view, the early Mk2 is the best version made.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 8:58 pm   #8
simpsons
Octode

When designing a record player, it is not just a question of getting a box, dropping in an amplifier, finding an assortment of other bits and pieces and buying a record deck with a cartridge.

A designer/engineer will have understood that a powerful amplifier will need a speaker to match. The cabinet design will need to ventilate the amplifier and minimise vibration yet be safe electrically and easy to carry.

The final sound quality will also depend on the material used in the cabinet construction and the design of the speaker(s)

The designer brief will include to meet the price performance of the market segment of the product is aimed at.

This means in practise to upgrade your record player it is necessary to know what you have got just now.

You mention building a Mullard 3-10 amplifier. These are quite big and whilst noted for the quality of sound, will need a large box.

Lastly, just what is your aim in improving the record player you have.

Chris
Old 13th Jul 2021, 10:39 pm   #9
John10b
Nonode

Thank you Edward and Chris.
Chris I’m fully aware of the points you raised, I was just wondering what would be the next step up for both the Cartridge and Deck, these have been answered.
John
Old 14th Jul 2021, 9:52 am   #10
simpsons
Octode

Hi John. Sorry if I had said the obvious.

Good luck

Chris
Closed Thread