UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2021, 8:29 pm   #1
Robertp
Diode

Default Stereo Ceramic Cartridges

Hi, just wondered which of the following is the best stereo? Ceramic cartridge, the Acos GP 96? or Sonotone 3549? Sonotone 3559? Would be grateful for any advice??
Old 12th Jul 2021, 7:10 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Stereo Ceramic Cartridges

I would go for the GP96/1, one of the last stereo ceramic cartridges Acos made. But it's always best to know what tone arm/deck it is being fitted into and what type of amplifier it will drive. Can you please advise?
Old 12th Jul 2021, 12:18 pm   #3
Robertp
Diode

Hi thank you for the information. I have a Hacker GP42 Condieler which has Valve amp. Garrard 2025TC Deck.
Old 12th Jul 2021, 5:45 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well the Hacker Gondolier was originally fitted with the Acos GP96/1 and so will be ideal in that tubular tone arm.
Old 18th Jul 2021, 1:49 pm   #5
Ekcoman
Heptode

Just bought two again from eBay (ICT05 P-188D P-190 CZ800 793-D CC1AD Ceramic Cartridge + Stylus Uk Stock). Very reasonably priced too. I already have one and tested it in a Hacker GP42 and surprised just how good it sounds. My old original Acos mounts that supports the stylus tend to go brittle and crumbled away.