UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2021, 1:11 pm   #1
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Perished Cable In Old Radios

Moderators please move this if in the wrong section . What cable do you use to replace perished rubber coated cable in old radios and where to buy it kind regards Bob
Old 5th Jul 2021, 1:49 pm   #2
Horris
Hexode

Default Re: Perished Cable In Old Radios

I use silicon cable from Rapid part no for black is 63-6256. Other colours are available. It states that it is single core, but in fact it is multi core. I have been using it for sometime now.

Dave
Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:02 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
It states that it is single core, but in fact it is multi core.
By "multi core" I take it that you mean stranded, and that by "single core" they mean that there is only one conductor.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:12 pm   #4
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

All colours of silicone-rubber insulated stranded cable can be bought at the NVCF (when it happens!), but the seller is a member on here.

Andy
Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:25 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or for shortish lengths, you can unsolder one end, remove the old wire's sleeving, thread-on new, then re-solder.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 2:54 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
All colours of silicone-rubber insulated stranded cable can be bought at the NVCF (when it happens!), but the seller is a member on here.

Andy
That's Phil Marrison, forum member SWB_18:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/member.php?u=2271

Phil sells heatproof silicon rubber insulated stranded flex (in two gauges) in several muted 'vintage' colours which strips easily look much more in keeping than gaudy PVC, apart from the obvious advantage of being heat-proof. As you are restoring a DAC90A, I've generally found the speaker wiring, the dial lamp wiring, and some of the wiring around the dropper to be in poor shape, and I guess that's why you've raised the query.

Like many forum members I normally stock up from Phil's stand at the NVCF ('Retrotech') show each year, but I know that he's happy to deal with individuals by post. He regularly visits the forum (he was on today at 1300 Hrs), so if you send him a PM I'm sure he'll respond promptly.

(I've not seen it available in small quantities elsewhere).

Hope that helps.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 4:08 pm   #7
Silicon
Nonode

A low cost option is to use PVC coated wires of the correct voltage rating and thickness.

If you abrade them with a Scotchbrite pad you can remove the surface shine to make them look more like rubber.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 7:52 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Silicone-jacketed stuff is good; I've also made extensive use of the glassfibre-braided stuff typically found in old cookers; this is rated for 250V AC mains, but seems to work just fine when feeding the anode-connections of RF-power valves like the 807 and 6146 where things can be hot for long periods.

I've also used the glassfibre-braided cable for wiring around ceramic valve-sockets housing 'juicy' HT-rectifiers.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 8:58 pm   #9
Horris
Hexode

You are right Dave, I should have said stranded not multicore.
Old 6th Jul 2021, 1:40 pm   #10
bobhowe
Heptode

Thanks to every one that has replied to this thread forum member SWB 18 ( Phil ) has kindly helped me out moderators please close thread
Closed Thread