UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2021, 12:20 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: RetrotechUK now 26th September '21

The current plan is still cash on the door and two tier admission as usual, but it is still a few months away so things could change depending on the rules nearer the time.

Regular visitors will know that entry wristbands are usually sold along the queue before doors open to greatly speed up entry.

Talking of cash, as we understand it there is now no cash machine in the hall so please bring enough cash with you for likely purchases. Many sellers (especially individuals selling personal items) probably can't accept card payments.

We will give more information about the event operation nearer the time depending on the Covid rules and venue rules (for example social distancing, mask wearing unless exempt etc). At this stage it is too early to give any details.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Jul 2021, 3:54 pm   #22
Pamphonica
Nonode

As far as I know it's standard cash on the door ticketing, and the previous two-tier admission will operate. Greg (Audiomagpie) should be able to confirm this. My advice is to get there early to allow maximum bargain-hunting time.

Only 12 weeks to go! As the largest get-together of the year, for me it's a must-go event and I always hugely enjoy it.

Please come along if you can - it's well worth it, and there are many local attractions (National Trust houses, castles, museums) for other halves who are not so thrilled by vintage technology.

Hopefully lots of people will continue to go to events like these, and this one will grow again. If these sorts of events are not well supported, they might become financially non-viable, which would be a huge shame.

See you all there!
-Jeremy

(sorry - missed the final page of posts so crossed with Paul's post.)
Old 5th Jul 2021, 4:05 pm   #23
cathoderay57
Nonode

Anybody know if there will be a bring'n'buy stall? Jerry
Old 5th Jul 2021, 4:23 pm   #24
Pamphonica
Nonode

There will definitely be a Bring and Buy - I'll be there with the rest of the crew (Jeffrey, Brian and Chris)!!
-Jeremy
Old 5th Jul 2021, 9:15 pm   #25
slidertogrid
Octode

I assume that by then the wearing of face masks will be voluntary.
As there will be many people from many destinations and ages would it be a good idea to have someone with a temperature checking device like the ones they use at the doctors before they let you in checking the entrants or even possibly in the queue outside?
Just a thought to help keep everyone safe....
Rich.
Old 5th Jul 2021, 9:43 pm   #26
GrimJosef
Dekatron

The IET doesn't rate temperature checks as very useful

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/art...9-study-finds/

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th Jul 2021, 10:06 pm   #27
Stuart R
Heptode

I agree that steps should be taken to keep everyone safe. Temperature checks are just one of the methods we use in the workplace.

However, it would be a great shame to have driven a long way to Leamington Spa, or even worse battled with public transport for hours, only to get turned away at the door. Especially as we've waited over two years for this!

Getting ourselves a free box of Lateral Flow Tests from the local pharmacy (or order on-line) and taking a test the evening before would be a good way of 'doing our bit' and reducing the risk of a wasted journey.

(I don't think the Mods will take kindly to this turning into a Covid testing discussion).

SR
Old 6th Jul 2021, 12:16 am   #28
Paul Stenning
Administrator

September is two months away and a lot can change in that time. The organisers and BVWS will be closely following developments and the event will be run in accordance with the rules and advice at the time. We are aware that many attendees could be older or in more vulnerable groups and would allow for that.

Depending on the number of table bookings we may be able to alter the layout to spread them out more and allow wider aisles etc.

Personally I don’t think we would be doing temperature checks (they are no longer used anywhere I go) or requiring proof of negative tests or vaccination etc.

Ultimately though everyone attending is an adult and needs to do whatever they feel is right for themselves, regardless of what others attending may be doing, or what the rules are. That could be being more cautious about distancing or continuing to wear a mask, even if there are no rules requiring this in September, or self-testing the day before etc. Some people may prefer to arrive later when it is likely to be quieter.

We cannot control what individual people do, we need to expect people to be sensible and considerate.

Beyond that I don’t feel there is any need for further discussion or speculation at this time. We will give details before the event, when we know what the situation is at the time.

Paul Stenning
Old 6th Jul 2021, 7:32 am   #29
Cobaltblue

This thread is going to be suspended until nearer the time when it will be re-opened.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 6th Jul 2021, 12:59 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have received the following email from Greg (BVWS Chairman):

Quote:
Hi Paul

Appreciate your comments on the forum regarding RetrotechUK.

You are spot on with what you say and we can make further comment after the 19th July restrictions announcement, once they are actually confirmed by the Government.

We will run the event to comply with any recommendations in place at that time and if any folk wish to take additional precautions that will be up to them. And we will fully liaise with the WEC.

Cheers
Greg
This thread will be reopened when we have a further update.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread