UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2017, 2:21 am   #1
reddish75
Hexode

Default Farnell TSV70 Mk2 restoration

So, Father Christmas brought me two of these with apparent faults as which I've yet to discover, so I thought i'd refurb them so I wouldn't have to bother with them in that way for a few years,

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable folk on here what to look for before switching on, best way to switch on (probably for the first time in a few years)?

It seems like I'll have questions lots of questions if anyone's willing to help?

In the meantime I've wrestled the covers off one and measured the bigger caps which seem to mostly be OK, enjoy some photos of the inside.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AhyV-hIo37nZpy3xFrszVD-3F19X
Old 7th Jan 2017, 2:46 pm   #2
short wave
Pentode

Default Re: Farnell TSV70 Mk2 restoration

Hi "Reddish" I too also have one of these units do you have a manual? (think mine came with one I will check) Might be useful to "variac" the unit , as I presume you don't know its history do you know the faults? Do you wish to make one good one from the two or try to get both going?

Regards S - W
Old 7th Jan 2017, 4:04 pm   #3
karesz*
Heptode

Hallo Reddish,
the Rifa ,brownish- explicit the ripped, capacitors are to replace-there can explode/burn out to next...
Karl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIFA-to replace.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	135502  
Old 8th Jan 2017, 11:37 am   #4
short wave
Pentode

Just checked my manual its the Mk2 version. I agree with "Karesz" the Rifa caps need replacing as they are well known to make a lot of nasty smoke.There are 2 more Rifa caps on your photo of the blue output electrolytic (date code 80-49) also. The board that has "good" in pencil... is it good?
Closed Thread