UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2016, 12:54 am   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Stella dual standard

Indeed. Perhaps the set was never used on 625 hence why the line hold is way off?
I remember when I got the 13" GEC going on 625, the UHF tuner was never fitted but through moving a tag lead on the IF etc panel allowed the VHF tuner to work on 625 as well as 405.

The line hold was not unexpectedly miles out and outside the range of the user hold control. This was corrected on setting the line osc coil. On doing this I have instant lock on both standards.

As Tas says try adjusting the 625-line hold user control first.
Old 8th Oct 2016, 2:51 am   #22
bionicmerlin
Heptode

I have tried adjusting the line hold and that's about the best picture I can get..
I'm probably getting a bit out my depth now. I have checked the pot and a few components near by and I'm sure they are on or not far off tolerance..if the worst comes to the worst I might end up just useing it on 405 ..I did like the look of this set as at first glance front on . it doesn't look like a dual standard set.
Old 8th Oct 2016, 5:40 am   #23
Restoration73
Nonode

The pre-set Line hold trimmer C424 is adjusted during manufacture, and should not
require attention, but if adjustment proves necessary this should be set so that both
line hold controls,i.e. R419 (405) and R418 (625) have sufficient range for horizontal
lock. Ideally lock should not occur only if the control is fully anticlockwise or clockwise.
Old 10th Oct 2016, 1:24 am   #24
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks guys BUT?
C424 doesnt exist. Been looking for ages but it's not there. I'm sure it was never there in the first place. Also there is another resistor fitted in parallel with R412 again it's not been added, it's original. I did test each resistor and they are the correct value.

C424 is shown on my diagram on the back of the set.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7167.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	131073  
Old 10th Oct 2016, 6:35 am   #25
Restoration73
Nonode

Philips did make changes in production. C424 was in parallel with C407, so a new value would replace them both if the trimmer was omitted. The manual states that R412, 680k, was replaced with a wire link in some chassis.

Tony
Old 11th Oct 2016, 2:09 am   #26
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Well I think I am stuck now. Any last ideas? At least I got a set that works well on 405.
Old 11th Oct 2016, 4:02 am   #27
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Hi Merlin,

Couple of things, yours could be a late model, and looking at the manual for the Philips 19TG154 seems to confirm this.

Also, make sure the system switch is operating correctly on the right hand (IF) panel. It looks to me like the 405 line signals are running at 625.

Please don't give up hope yet.

Regards,

Tony
Old 12th Oct 2016, 2:35 am   #28
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Stella dual standard (ST1099A)

Tony thanks. I have visually and meter tested all the contacts tonight on the switch and I'm sure it's working fine. I have infact found 2 resistors that have gone very high. I have unsolderd one leg off of each to make sure they are not in circuit and yes both are way over value. So I will change them and retest as soon as I can (R415 and R 417).

Andy.
Old 14th Oct 2016, 1:46 am   #29
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Well I have replaced the 2 resistors and that has done it very happy with the picture .i do find the 405 is in fact the slightly better of the two but both are very watchable.

Got a little problem with the sound it's not as good as I would like but after changing another resistor that's gone high and not much change found it to be the speaker. It's glued in and i think too much glue got on the cone and mucked it up. Problem is finding one that will fit I did have one but that was worse than the original. I'm sure I will have one kicking about. Sounds OK though on my test speaker.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hope to report it's finished soon as long as no more problems show up.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7178.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	131262   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT7179.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	131263  
Old 14th Oct 2016, 11:34 am   #30
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

That's better, looks very good does that, well done!

Cheers
Old 15th Oct 2016, 4:40 pm   #31
Focus Diode
Octode

Excellent result, well done!
I had sound trouble on a HMV 2635 (950 MkII chassis) which turned out to be due to the speaker. I was able to obtain an exact replacement.This was essential as being a 19" set space was very limited.

Perhaps someone here could fix you up with a suitable speaker for your Stella?

Cheers
Brian
Old 18th Oct 2016, 2:08 am   #32
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Good news first"
I found a Phillips speaker not the same shape so I made a wooden mounting plate . Sounded really good . Had the set running about a hour. Thought I was all done so put the back on. Tried again later and
This is the bad bit Frame collapse and no sound.
Turned out to be the bottom section this time of the dropper that had the top section gone. See picture on first post.
Can I please ask can someone tell me the value as no markings . Also is it just old age made it go .and what wattage should I be using . Thanks hopefully Andy
Old 18th Oct 2016, 2:53 am   #33
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Hi Merlin,

The dropper section you refer to is 500 ohm but check the 150ma fuse (FS201) before you condemn it.

Things in old TV's do just fail, so unless it was smoking or glowing red I wouldn't worry.

Regards,

Tony
Old 18th Oct 2016, 9:30 pm   #34
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Thanks Tony I did check the fuse but I didn't check the value . I will have a look tonight or tomorrow Andy
Old 1st Nov 2016, 1:55 am   #35
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with this set.
It appears to be working fine now . Only minor thing is after about a hour it loses a little volume but it I turn the volume up it it stays stable. But I'm now going to use it's it gives a good picture I have had it on for some time over the last few nights Andy
Closed Thread