UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2021, 7:57 pm   #21
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: What's this connector called?

Also used on VHF Trantec, TOA, Nady, Shure and Samson wireless microphone receivers (where aerials were removeable) and probably others.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 5:45 pm   #22
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: What's this connector called? (SO239)

Found some straight and Right Angle Greenpars, quite likely ex 2B stores. (Fred!)

Something about the Right Angle ones always screams Pye Westminster at me.
Fitting diagram also attached from W15FM handbook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenpar_PL259.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	237510   Click image for larger version

Name:	greenpar_259(2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	237511  
Old 11th Jul 2021, 6:09 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes I used loads of the right-angle ones on the boot-mount Westminsters.

Somewhwere I've also got a genuine Pye 5/8-wave VHF whip-antenna fitted with a right-angle plug; it was used on the 'portapack' Westminster where the antenna socket was on the side of the [dash mount] radio.
Old 11th Jul 2021, 8:49 pm   #24
WB6NVH-GEOFF
Tetrode

These days the standard method of using these UHF male connectors is to employ a crimp version. This means you must buy a crimp tool. There are some cheap ones out there that work fine but you need different jaws or dies for cable size and impedance. I use one at work that someone paid USD $ 650 for. It has interchangeable dies, made in USA by Kings, and makes beautiful crimps, but at that price it had better. So far I have not impressed any girls with it, which is disappointing. Also, if it detects you are using a cheap import connector it will crush the guts out it without releasing it until the full travel has been achieved and the connector destroyed.

Beware Chinese PL-259 UHF males of the solder style on eBay. I needed some for a remote location's project where the antenna threads were not standard and while these threaded flawlessly, when I began to solder them on, imagine my surprise when the insulator disc melted and the pin fell over. Aggravated by, as noted above, the plating resisting solder. And the nearest replacements a week away by mail. Boo and hiss.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 3:31 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes I have to admit there are some very suspect cheaply made versions of these plugs around.
I have had ones where the thread in the body has been so sharp it has cut off all the braid as you screwed it on.
Yes there are some with nylon insulation that melts as you solder the tip.
Generally good for CB use.
Mike
Old 13th Jul 2021, 5:24 pm   #26
Top Cap
Octode

When I have had to fix one of the older style of plug onto coax, I have 'combed' the screen into two long tails. Then as the cable centre is inserted into the centre pin, carefully align the two twisted tails, 180 deg from each other, such that they enter the holes in the barrel. It's tricky but can be done after which the tails are pulled to make a snug fit, cut to around 10-15mm, then wrapped in the groove. They can be soldered of course, better than trying to just solder inside the hole. I recently bought two Multicomp (RS?) UHF 014 PL259 plugs and these are fantastic but meant for thick coax like H1000 and RG213, I am using 10mm diameter Westflex. They have a top hat for sliding between the braid and dielectric and also include rubber compression. I still would not expect it to compete with an 'N' type with regard to moisture but I have one mounted at the base of a vertical, after which it was covered with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. So far no problem after 5 years.
Old 13th Jul 2021, 5:52 pm   #27
dsergeant
Octode

Since impedance characteristics of PL259 is pretty meaningless anyway I adopt the even simpler method. I pull the braid back, twist it, then solder it to the outside of the plug. Ugly and nowhere near 50 ohms at any frequency, but does the job relatively easily - you still need a beefy iron. I have long since given up trying to solder through those silly holes.

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 14th Jul 2021, 8:31 am   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
I recently bought two Multicomp (RS?) UHF 014 PL259 plugs and these are fantastic but meant for thick coax like H1000 and RG213, I am using 10mm diameter Westflex. They have a top hat for sliding between the braid and dielectric
Sounds like a design not seen since the only decent ones were made by Greenpar - do you have the RS part number for those?
Old 14th Jul 2021, 8:45 pm   #29
Herald1360
Dekatron

Multicomp sounds more like Farnell than RS....

https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc0...ble/dp/2771836

.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Jul 2021, 9:30 pm   #30
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I use these: https://moonrakeronline.com/pl259-co...-9mm-for-rg213 or similar ones are available for £2.50 or so at radio rallies [remember radio rallies? I'm sure you do....]
Old 14th Jul 2021, 10:01 pm   #31
emeritus
Dekatron

The SO239 connectors listed in the 1980 RS catalogue were said to be to Military Spec, with PTFE insulation.
Closed Thread