UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2021, 9:48 am   #21
LukeG83
Hexode

Default Re: 1976 Tricity Bendix Double oven

Sorry to jump on this thread but I have a very similar Tricity double oven - model 2145.

This hasn't been used for a few years and it too is tripping the electrics when turned on. I managed to replace all the elements in both the oven and the grill with new old stock elements which has allows the cooker to turn on for approx. 1 minute, but then it trips again!

I did notice that there is a cardboard(?) with a reflective side between the elements and the cooker housing. This is in poor condition having broken down with age - would this cause any issues, and if so where could replacement be found?

I have tried to run the cooker on a low heat, let it trip the electrics - leave and repeat a few times to dry out the replacement elements in case they are damp too but Im not having any luck so far!
Old 4th Jun 2021, 11:15 am   #22
PaulR
Dekatron

I wouldn't think that the reflective panel would cause problems unless it was touching something live. You would probably get a flash and a bang in those circumstances. The outside of the cooker may get hotter than previously, though.

Your problems with it tripping the electrics is probably due to damp in the elements. It doesn't take much and it has happened to me with elements stored at ordinary room temperature. If you haven't already thrown them away I would keep any of the old elements that look in reasonable condition as they are a diminishing resource.

Getting it warm using a hair drier or similar might help but it needs to get pretty hot to drive out the last vestiges of moisture.

Would you feel confident to disconnect the earth from the cooker at the wall and get it hot in that condition? Obviously you would need to switch off the mains to the house at the main switch before starting. Having disconnected the earth you could keep everyone away, leave the cooker's wall switch off, turn on the grill and oven then throw the wall switch. Let it get hot without touching it then turn it off using the wall switch and reconnect the earth. Obviously you would need to take great care and not let anyone touch the unit whilst it was switched on. If you are at all unsure about how to do this then DONT!
Old 4th Jun 2021, 2:05 pm   #23
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi Paul - thanks for the advice - I feel confident doing this as I live alone and installed the cooker supply originally so am familiar with the wiring - thanks for the tip. I was surprised that it is still tripping with new elements but they are probably new old stock and could have absorbed moisture whilst in storage. Cheers
Old 4th Jun 2021, 2:56 pm   #24

What about putting a 15W pigmy bulb twixt the now disconnected earth and neutral to see the current?

Old 4th Jun 2021, 6:18 pm   #25
PaulR
Dekatron

I have a Creda Cavalier dating from 1980. I have bought oven and grill elements whilst they are available and keep them in store. I always find that the oven elements require drying out by fitting but not connecting them then switching the oven on and allowing the one remaining element to heat it up. I don't keep radiant rings as they are still easily available and never have any problems with the new ones I buy. I think this bears out your thought that the NOS elements have absorbed moisture over the years. I haven't had to fit the grill element yet but I will bake it in the oven first if I need to use it

Once dried out they continue to work with no trouble.
Old 5th Jun 2021, 9:23 pm   #26
LukeG83
Hexode

Baked all 4 elements in a friends oven at 230 degrees for an hour!

Replaced and top main over now works fine and gets up to temperature. Unfortunately the bottom grill elements still seem to trip the electrics so will have another go at baking them although I would have thought that I had warmed them up enough.

Next job is to dismantle the control panel and look at the clock which doesn’t work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C0CB45B-19D0-408E-9CB3-219303F2AA9D.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	235482   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D16D93D-6167-4C38-B085-7375A0E9E051.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	235483  
Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:50 am   #27
PaulR
Dekatron

Have a look at Nick's post about how he repaired his clock motor. I have another motor here but I never got round to testing it because Nick did a good restoration job on his. The movement is probably gummed up as well. From memory of the different one on my Creda did not come apart to clean it properly but if it is dirty you could try soaking it in IPA, brushing it with a toothbrush or similar then oiling it. Strictly you should use proper clock oil but with a movement like this sewing machine oil applied sparingly on the point of a cocktail stick should suffice.
Old 10th Jun 2021, 3:01 pm   #28
LukeG83
Hexode

Mine too was gummed up and so I soaked in IPA and treated with some machine oil. Unfortunately no improvement and tested motor and it’s dead so time to try and find a replacement!
Old 10th Jun 2021, 3:53 pm   #29
PaulR
Dekatron

Is it the same as the one Nick describes earlier in this thread? If so I have a clock with the same motor. I haven't tested it but if it works you are welcome to have it.
Old 10th Jun 2021, 4:11 pm   #30
LukeG83
Hexode

Hi Paul it is ! Thank you I will send a pm
Old 10th Jun 2021, 6:50 pm   #31
PaulR
Dekatron

Ok I will get it out and test it. No problem with posting it