UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2021, 11:29 am   #41
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: Amateur radio licence single exam to full

Thanks David, my views and experience are exactly in line with yours and I thought I was alone in having them.

On the subject of "sociopathic elitists" I agree that they're in the minority. On the other hand they tend to be the most vocal in stating their views (rather like the rest of society!).

Hugh

Last edited by Stockden; 16th May 2021 at 11:29 am. Reason: Incompetent spelling!
Old 16th May 2021, 4:08 pm   #42
Aub
Nonode

I wonder how some of them felt, or what they said, when G8 was given full HF permission about 20 years ago 😄 ?

Aub
Old 16th May 2021, 5:41 pm   #43
Sinewave
Octode

Also I wonder how some feel about the fact that if you were a newly licenced user can buy 'old' call signs....
Old 18th May 2021, 7:53 pm   #44
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Is that really true? It used to be that you had to be able to show near relationship to the original holder of a vintage callsign before you could ask for it. Has that changed?
Old 18th May 2021, 9:47 pm   #45
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

I'm sure that today - as was ever the case - there will be members of every radio club that still exists, who do have considerable expertise, who welcome and encourage newcomers, offer training and guidance, arrange talks, organise rallies and so forth, and in a cheerless world, countless amateurs will derive much enjoyment from going on air. We can't create a future by living in the past, but for me, the remnants of the hobby as I once knew it, is alive and well in the G-QRP Club. (Still a joy to receive SPRAT).

Well said David, my thoughts exactly.
Chris G0EYO
Old 19th May 2021, 10:31 am   #46
Restoration73
Nonode

David has said it all. "The Last Word" should be removed from Radcom and replaced by
a new "Technical Topics", the original the sole feature I enjoyed, by the former G3VA (SK)

I took my RAE when B licencees were given 50 and 70MHz. Nowadays may radio users
have access to frequencies for which no exam or licence is required.
Old 27th Jul 2021, 1:56 am   #47
Nicola_Jayne
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Is that really true? It used to be that you had to be able to show near relationship to the original holder of a vintage callsign before you could ask for it. Has that changed?
one does not 'buy' callsigns

when you become eligible by successful completion of the relevant exam for new licence you can get a 'current series' call via the effectively automated process on the OFCOM website

this would be M#7 for foundation, 2#0 for Intermediate and M#0 for full

given you can now choose suffix if it's available you can also apply for 'none current' series callsigns if the suffix is free or has not been kept validated and been out of use for a number of years

as M#0 is fairly full people have been applying for M#1 and G#5 although in theory any now free G#n zzz can be applied for ... hence the guff aobut 'dead man's calls'

OFCOM has stopped re-issuing the 2 letter suffix calls
Closed Thread