UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2021, 2:09 pm   #1
Phil-G0SXY
Triode

Default Taylor Model 60 (1940) Signal Generator

I have recently acquired the Model 60, done some research but there doesn't seem to be a lot of specific information on this particular model, however plenty on the 65 variants.

The unit was semi working on a couple of the lower band ranges but not oscillating correctly on the others which still needs to sorted out.

I have drawn out the circuit diagram (attached) can anyone have a look over it for me, maybe compare it to your own model 60 and let me know if it all looks good?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit.pdf (40.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 8th Mar 2021, 11:24 am   #2
jonnybear
Octode

Default Re: Taylor Model 60 (1940) Signal Generator

Found this the 60 and 65 I have been told are similar.Check the values of resistors and especially any paper capacitors, check electrolytics as ripple can be a problem.hope this is of help
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	taylor65.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	228635  
Old 8th Mar 2021, 7:17 pm   #3
Phil-G0SXY
Triode

Default Re: Taylor Model 60 (1940) Signal Generator

Thanks John,

Yes the two models are similar but there are differences, my circuit in the first post is an accurate depiction of the unit I currently have although the annotation on the multiply switch is wrong, it should have 10M at the top and 1 at the bottom.

All the resistors are OK and well within the 20% tolerance so I left them alone, however the caps were all changed and mix of series and parallel values used to get the modulation frequency close to its 400Hz on the Hartley oscillator, originally it was at 250Hz.

It's all done now and working very well, the main issue was the BB size solder balls over tarnished wires and tags, a good clean and fresh solder brought it back to life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewFile1.png
Views:	48
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	228679   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewFile2.png
Views:	46
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	228680   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewFile3.png
Views:	51