UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2019, 6:51 pm   #1
Viscount
Heptode

Default Leak Delta 30.

Once again I'm on here with the Leak Delta 30, sounds great apart from one fault, the amount of bass produced by both channels is unequal. I thought at first it was a speaker problem, but after swapping them over it's still the same. Has anyone had the same problem, or know what the problem could be?
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 7:07 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Leak Delta 30.

Sounds like a dried-up electrolytic capacitor somewhere.

Some detective work trying it switched to mono and also trying tape inputs may reduce the acreage to search.

The 'good' channel might not necessarily be right, just better. A good going over with an ESR meter would be the best approach.

David
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 7:14 pm   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I gave in and changed all the electrolytics in my son's Stereo 30, as well as the front end resistors for low noise types..., and the volume control.... and the tape monitor switch.
Why do I bother?

Peter
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 7:26 pm   #4
Trevor
Octode

Because like me you love it
Trev
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 8:17 pm   #5
Viscount
Heptode

Thanks for the advice, will let you all know how I get on.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 10:20 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

The left and right channel modules could be swapped over to see if the fault changes channels. If it does then clearly the fault is on the module. I have the Delta 70 which is basically the same circuit and it did benefit from electrolytic changes in both modules.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 11:03 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Another way of looking at it is to say that all the capacitors are the same age, from the same batches and have experienced the same environment for all those years, so you could justify a pre-emptive strike.

People's opinions differ in this area.

David
Old 12th Jun 2019, 11:34 am   #8
Viscount
Heptode

OK so have just tried it on mono and the problem is still there, next is to swap cards over, it would appear that one channel is producing less bass than it should, sorry the replies are taking a while but a lot on at the moment ,will post soon with more results.
Old 14th Jun 2019, 9:58 am   #9
dave cox
Nonode

This amp has output capasitors so it is possible that one of these is defective, it looks like these are NOT mounted on the power amp board so it you swap the boards and nothing changes then they are still a candidate (as are the switches / headphone socket etc).

dc

EDIT forget about the headphones socket, it's not switching
Old 19th Jun 2019, 10:33 pm   #10
martin.m
Hexode

Just spotted this thread. I have a Leak Delta 30 and am investigating a similar problem. My RH channel is quieter than the Left and slightly lacking in bass. If you have a CD player try connecting it to the tape replay input then listen with the front panel "Replay" button pressed in. This bypasses the preamp and tone control circuitry by feeding the signal directly to the Leak's power amp circuits. If the performance is restored, then the problem lies in the preamp circuits. The Delta 30 is over 45 years old now and some of the electrolytic capacitors are likely to have deteriorated.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 9:08 pm   #11
Trevor
Octode

was this resolved is so how?
Trev
Old 10th Sep 2019, 5:19 pm   #12
Viscount
Heptode

pm sent
Closed Thread