UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2016, 10:50 am   #1
ianm
Hexode

Default Ferranti 1930s electric movement query

I've nearly completed the restoration of a 1930s Ferranti electric wall clock, which was in rather derelict condition. Well, it makes a change from the Smiths clocks that are regularly a topic of conversation here!

As the work on the movement draws to a close, I have a couple of questions. The two motor bearings take the form of a brass cup with a cap. One of these is shown in the picture below (prior to being cleaned up). Do I need to pack these with any lubricant and if so, what? It occurred to me that if I simply filled these with turret clock oil, it would very likely run out and make a mess.

The other question is whether I need to lubricate the bonded resin wheel that meshes with the motor. I know this is recommended for some movements.

The cleaning and lubrication of this movement has been particularly beneficial, as it would not run at all prior to servicing. Now it runs sweetly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferran_mov.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	130880  

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 4th Oct 2016, 11:00 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti 1930s electric movement query

That looks like new, Ian. Fantastic work (as always).

I pack the cups with a very light grease, and apply a drop of turret oil on the rotor pivots for good measure. It seems to work!

And, yes, I apply a smear of the same grease to the teeth of the SRBP first wheel too, leaving the others dry of course.

I really like the Ferranti pre-War movement. They seem to go on and on, running utterly silently, and are very easy to work on with no critical adjustments or faffing around required to get them going.

Is the flywheel spring OK on yours? They often seem to have been mangled in the past. And do post a picture of the finished clock, please.

N.

P.S. Do you have a copy of Mark Lines' excellent book?

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 4th Oct 2016 at 11:06 am.
Old 5th Oct 2016, 11:01 am   #3
ianm
Hexode

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your kind words about my repair work.

Interested to know which particular type of grease you like to use on these clocks. There are so many to choose from and it seems to be an entire topic in itself. The only one at my disposal just now is Castrol LM, which I use on my old car, but probably far too thick for an electric clock!

The flywheel spring is definitely ok on mine, which is good, as it's not something I would wish to attempt a repair on. One of the brass mains terminals was rather poorly though, as the screw had broken off just below the surface. Fortunately, I was able to drill into the wire entry hole to remove most of it and release the tension, then teased out the remainder from the threaded hole.

I don't currently have Mark Lines' book, but I guess it's about time I ordered a copy.

Old 5th Oct 2016, 11:50 am   #4
richrussell
Heptode

On my 1930s Ferrantis, the cup initially contained a wax - possibly just dried out grease. I've use general purpose moly grease and they've been fine for years.

Neither of mine have any auto-start mechanism though, so it's always a pain remembering to spin them up after a power cut. Still, at least they let you know when the power cut took place if you were out or asleep
Old 5th Oct 2016, 1:30 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I use "Accrolube PTFE Grease" which is an American product seldom seen over here: http://www.proairsolutions.co.uk/pne...n-1-5-oz-tube/

It came with some dental equipment but is just the job for clocks as it's light yet claims not to migrate.
Old 11th Oct 2016, 11:08 am   #6
ianm
Hexode

Hi Nick,

The Accrolube grease looks to be just the thing, but as you say, not easy to find over here. The supplier you mentioned above doesn't state a price and there's a minimum order of 3 tubes, so I'll probably need to look out for something else!

Closed Thread