UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Sep 2016, 4:23 pm   #21
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Odd Osram Fireglow Bulb ! Info needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswhisker8 View Post
I have a very old heater, probably dating from early 1900's, using what ,I believe, were known as sausage bulbs! I have 4 of the original types, which were200watt/240v rating but filaments are gone.In spite of lots of searching impossible to find duff or even working ones. The heater is very 'decois'and l=would look great fired up ('scuse pun!).Any ideas welcome. Photos available so aI'll try a separate thread as don't want to change the original one.

I wonder if a skilled glass blower could make replica bulbs similar to the originals. Open at the bottom and not sealed like a real lamp.
Slide these open ended replica bulbs over high powered modern lamps that are very much under run so as to give a warm glow and a modest heat output.

Perhaps something like 2KW linear halogen lamps, all four run in series so that each lamp receives only 60 volts.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 10:42 pm   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd Osram Fireglow Bulb ! Info needed please

What about standard halogen heater elements instead of underrun halogen floodlight bulbs?

Eg: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Halogen-Hea...n+heater+bulbs

Series pairs should work out about right on power and run redder than on their full 230V.
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread