UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 23rd Mar 2024, 12:46 am   #1
John_Dw
Tetrode

Default Latest acquisition, Cossor CR7225t

I just picked this up on eBay, very cheaply. There doesn't seem to be very much on line about this set at all, the only thing that I can find is an entry on the Radio Museum website, which shows two pictures of a red and white set and some technical details, other than that I can find nothing about it.....
The radio was very grubby and there was some sign of corrosion in the battery compartment. The case looks surprisingly good after a bit of cleaning and cleaning up the battery contacts and fitting six nice new 'C' cells bought it to life. However there are a couple of problems, it tunes well on MW and LW, with more than ample volume but there is a LOT of whistling when tuning into stations. On the VHF band, initially I thought it was dead, but have since found that it tunes to plenty of stations but even with the volume full up they are so quiet, as to be almost inaudible.... Any ideas? I'm a bit out of my depth here, usually 'play' with post war valve sets and can find my way round those circuits OK, but this early vhf transistor set is something else...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	295290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	295291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	295292  
John_Dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 8:01 am   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Latest acquisition, Cossor CR7225t

The Cossor CR7225T AM/FM transistor portable radio is of continental manufacture and is probably a "badge engineered" version of a Philips branded radio.

Philips' UK service company, Amalgamated Electric Services Ltd (AES), published a service sheet for the Cossor CR7225T, reference AES356 and dated February 1964.

This service sheet is available from the source at the top of each page of this website:https://www.service-data.com/section.php/1469/1/cr7225t

The radio uses Germanium transistors, including the AF11x types that are subject to the "Tin Whiskers" effect.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 23rd Mar 2024 at 8:25 am.
dazzlevision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 8:53 am   #3
John_Dw
Tetrode

Many thanks for the information, I have just purchased the service sheet. . Someone has, back in the distant past, been inside the radio and for some inexplicable reason, disconnected the ear piece socket, putting a link on the PCB to emulate the socket cut out contacts, then rewired the socket directly to the battery +ve and -ve connections.... Needless to say I have disconnected it! I did manage to get the tuning knob and dial indicator needle off last night, without breaking anything, so that I will be able to remove the front panel of the radio later to try to fault find it.
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 9:31 am   #4
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post

Many thanks for the information, I have just purchased the service sheet. . Someone has, back in the distant past, been inside the radio and for some inexplicable reason, disconnected the ear piece socket, putting a link on the PCB to emulate the socket cut out contacts, then rewired the socket directly to the battery +ve and -ve connections.... Needless to say I have disconnected it! .
That sounds like the sort of Mod I would have caried out decades ago if the set was being used as a household set rather than a portable there was no use for the earphone socket but if does allow you to run the set on a mains adaptor without messing up the case. I did the same to my parents kitchen radio, a nice little Sobell.

And of course easily reversable.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 8:03 pm   #5
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post

Many thanks for the information, I have just purchased the service sheet. . Someone has, back in the distant past, been inside the radio and for some inexplicable reason, disconnected the ear piece socket, putting a link on the PCB to emulate the socket cut out contacts, then rewired the socket directly to the battery +ve and -ve connections.... Needless to say I have disconnected it! .
That sounds like the sort of Mod I would have caried out decades ago if the set was being used as a household set rather than a portable there was no use for the earphone socket but if does allow you to run the set on a mains adaptor without messing up the case. I did the same to my parents kitchen radio, a nice little Sobell.

And of course easily reversable.

Cheers

Mike T
Must admit Mic I hadn't thought of that....lucky I didn't try to plug an earpiece into it
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 8:17 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

Yes you don't think about where the set will end up when you're 12

In our case the set sat in the kitchen window until we moved where it sat in a new kitchen window.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2024, 12:28 am   #7
John_Dw
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
The Cossor CR7225T AM/FM transistor portable radio is of continental manufacture and is probably a "badge engineered" version of a Philips branded radio.

Philips' UK service company, Amalgamated Electric Services Ltd (AES), published a service sheet for the Cossor CR7225T, reference AES356 and dated February 1964.
A bit of research has identified this Cossor set as a variation of the Philips L3W11T radio, from 1961/62.