UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2020, 8:15 pm   #1
OlafUher
Diode

Default Revox A77

hello there,

I bought a Revox A77, that needs a good cleaning and belt change, but as it the version in the wooden box with the loudspeakers, then I am in a bit of a jam in getting the machine out of the cabinet.

I don't want to force anything and damage it, I think it must be attached by wires to the speakers on each side ...

Have any of you successfully extracted the machine out of the wooden cabinet ?

Would be very grateful for some indications on what is preventing me from taking the machine out of the box itself.

Thank you in advance.
Olaf
Old 8th Apr 2020, 10:31 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox A77

Hello Olaf,

You must first remove the Remote Control dummy connector at the top left corner (do not forget to fit it back if you are going to operate it out of its box). If dummy connector is not removed it will foul and stop the chassis from coming out.

In the back of the box top right corner (when viewed from front) there are 2 metal pins/prongs which plug into the back of the chassis, these are an electrical safety interlock, the chassis can be a tight fit on and off these pins.

There are wires to the speakers that have to be disconnected. There should be a drawing fitted on rear panel of the box inside, explaining how to disconnect the wires, it is very simple, they just pull off at the electronics.

I upgraded my chassis A77 to a wooden suitcase and I find it tight/awkward to get it in and out of the case.

David
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:57 am   #3
Michael Maurice

They all were a tight fit even from new.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 9th Apr 2020, 12:11 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

There is only one belt, and this can be accessed just by removing the deck plate.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 12:12 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

They were tight as Michael says. My way to remove to case was to lay the machine face down on a cushion and lift the back off. It's a lot easier to handle that lifting the machine chassis.
Old 9th Apr 2020, 2:46 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I am sure you will know Olaf, but just to be sure there are chassis fixing/securing screws on the rear of the case that have to be removed, 4 I think.
Old 12th Apr 2020, 12:50 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Just the usual reminder that, once unboxed, it's wise to replace the four RIFA capacitors on the drive board (middle right viewed from the back). As mentioned above, the counter drive belt's easily accessible when the front top panel's removed. Once this is removed and the dummy plug taken out, the chassis 'criss-cross' is handy to give you more leverage. Also, if you intend to run the uncased machine, two banana plugs will be needed to simulate the interlock and the dummy plug replaced.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 2:31 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

You have probably done it already, but if not some photos for the speaker connections for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revox A77 Speaker connections diagram.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	202922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Revox A77 Speaker connections.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	202923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Revox A77 speaker connections 2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	202924  
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 1:11 am   #9
OlafUher
Diode

Thanks all,

I managed to unbox the Revox, I am now slowly recapping all the boards, not in a hurry and triple checking every component that I replace to make sure I do not inadvertently soldering the + and - incorrectly.

I will re-control all the boards once I have finished to make sure there are no errors.

Been working on my UHERS in-between.

Olaf
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 9:39 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
There is only one belt, and this can be accessed just by removing the deck plate.
That belt is only for the spool turns counter. The machine will work without it.... also some vintages of A77 had a second belt within the turns counter module itself.

There are no belts used in the spool drives or the capstan drive. Also no idler wheels.

David