UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:34 am   #41
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Compressor purchase

Fit male one end and female the other.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:44 am   #42
stevehertz
Dekatron

Ok, re the hose. And so wrt the compressor and tools - which to what?
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:49 am   #43
Sinewave
Octode

Female fittings on the compressor, male on the tools.

I used to buy most of my fittings from RS Components, they didn't seem to be too expensive for things like that.

Good makes to look for, other than PCL are

Legris, Festo and RS Pro (if buying from RS).
Old 13th Feb 2018, 1:04 pm   #44
Radio Wrangler

The female fitting has a seal-off valve that closes when no male fitting is plugged in, which is why female bits always go to the air supply side. Then you can disconnect anywhere and you don't have a hose whipping around as the tank empties through it.

David
Old 13th Feb 2018, 2:50 pm   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks guys. So, I reckon need these parts to get me going, doubling up on the connectors:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-r...ails_container

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-bg5002-blow-gun/7432h

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-aca25...e-thread/5763h

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-ac21c...e-thread/4118h
Old 13th Feb 2018, 6:26 pm   #46
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Are you saying PCL components do not include the special connectors that you mention?
Yes I'm saying they don't. If you operate the release on the PCL it will simply pop out. Of course they may do versions that have this safety feature as well, in fact they probably do, but it's not as standard.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 6:56 pm   #47
Bobsound
Tetrode

I seem to remember from many years ago, when I was involved in engineering, that blowing compresssed air onto the skin could cause an 'air embolism' which could prove fatal. I don't know how great a risk this is or if I am mis-remembering. Perhaps other members would know about this.
Bob
Old 13th Feb 2018, 7:26 pm   #48
evingar
Octode

Quote:
I'm buying a compressor mainly the purpose of blowing out dust from sets. That may seem a tad extravagant, but other methods just don't have the brute power and effectiveness of compressed air. I've tried them all and I'm fed up of it (heavy dust deposits in hard to get at corners) being a perennial problem.
... As a counterpoint, I prefer sucking to blowing for getting crud out of equipment.

I frequently repair seriously dust encrusted power supplies. I used to blast them with the compressor at the place I used to work, but this can be a serious health hazard unless a mask is worn and IMHO not really something that should be done inside a workshop, or even by open doors and windows.

For my home workshop, I find a strong vacuum is better. The potentially harmful crud gets removed to a safe place instead of being blasted around the immediate environment. I have a selection of small soft brushes that enable me to dislodge the dust in inaccessible areas and use a powerful restricted nozzle vacuum to then remove it.

Last edited by evingar; 13th Feb 2018 at 7:31 pm.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 7:59 pm   #49
stevehertz
Dekatron

The unit arrived, safe and sound, double boxed, no damage. See photo below. Regarding its output connection, it looks similar when looking 'down the hole' to the PCL one that I will be fitting to the hose that I bought. Maybe it's a Chinese equivalent? Can anyone tell from the photos? I don't have a male connector to check as Screwfix were out of stock today, get them tomorrow. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0625.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	157312   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0629.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	157313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0627.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	157314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0628.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	157315  
Old 13th Feb 2018, 9:46 pm   #50
mark_in_manc
Octode

If it's Chinese, it might be one of these:

https://tinyurl.com/ybfuyxbj

The two systems look similar but don't fit each other. I use Chinese ones on my lash up, as I had a few on some cheap aldi-lidl style air tools anyway. If you change yours out, don't throw it away - I'll give you something for it!
Old 14th Feb 2018, 8:19 am   #51
stevehertz
Dekatron

With these taper threaded connectors, is it necessary to use gas PTFE tape or, as one would think, being tapered do they seal ok?
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:46 am   #52
Sinewave
Octode

Use regular ptfe tape. The taper thread acts as a way to physically lock the thread, but this isn't enough to seal it. Parallel threads use flats to land against to lock the thread as it tightens. You would still use ptfe tape on a parallel thread.

Loctite 577 is a good example of a thread sealant and thread locker for parallel threads with no mating faces to lock. You can still use ptfe but would need more.
Old 14th Feb 2018, 10:57 am   #53
stevehertz
Dekatron

I have both gas and normal PTFE tape. You're saying the normal PTFE, not the gas one? why?

I also have threadlock. I could use that? Basically which of the three 'sealants' that I have is the best to use? Cheers!
Old 14th Feb 2018, 11:37 am   #54
Sinewave
Octode

Have never needed to use the gas one for air, but you can do if you have it.

You would only use thread lock if it's the type for sealing also, such as 577, rather than the type only for fasteners.

In your case with tapered threads, use either of the ptfe tapes you have.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:31 am   #55
Alistair D
Nonode

From Sunday Lidl are offering a range of air tools and accessories. Some of the accessories look as though they might be quite useful and at those prices no great loss if they are not.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?id=538

Al
Old 15th Feb 2018, 10:42 am   #56
stevehertz
Dekatron

Looks good, thanks.

Incidentally now that I know more about different connection types, it appears that my compressor came with a Euro type outlet connector on it, and all of those units at Lidl seem to use Euro too. So it looks like Chinese compressed air equipment uses Euro. Following advice from people on here I have kitted myself out with PCL Airflow Standard connectors. I have also bought a converter connector that will enable Euro male connectors (eg on other peoples' tools etc) to be connected to my 'system'.

I am still waiting for one connector to arrive, so soon I will be firing up my compressor.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:04 am   #57
stevehertz
Dekatron

There is one thing that I want to clarify before I switch on. The operating instructions say that the pressure regulator should be set at its lowest setting, ie turned fully anticlockwise. Hmm. Having fallen foul of erroneous Chinese operating instructions many times in the past, this made my 'ears prick up'. Surely this should be clockwise? See photos below. The way that regulator control is configured, then screwing it clockwise would appear to be the way to 'block off' that airway? Of course my 'logic' may be wrong. I don't want to switch it on full blast at my first attempt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0643.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	157413   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0644.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	157414  
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:47 am   #58
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsound View Post
I seem to remember from many years ago, when I was involved in engineering, that blowing compresssed air onto the skin could cause an 'air embolism' which could prove fatal. I don't know how great a risk this is or if I am mis-remembering. Perhaps other members would know about this.
Bob
Doing anything daft or "funny" with compressed air and bodies (yours or other's) could result in air being forced into the bloodstream- an embolism. This could be fatal. Just DON'T!

The risk isn't great- you have to actually do something deliberately unless you're very unlucky! Problems with flying filth muck and rubbish are much more likely to occur. Common sense should keep you safe but safety goggles are a good idea and a mask if things are really cruddy!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Feb 2018, 11:53 am   #59
Refugee
Dekatron

I have heard a story of someone that died after the air went through one of the little ducts in a carburetter and into his finger.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 12:20 pm   #60
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
There is one thing that I want to clarify before I switch on. The operating instructions say that the pressure regulator should be set at its lowest setting, ie turned fully anticlockwise. Hmm. Having fallen foul of erroneous Chinese operating instructions many times in the past, this made my 'ears prick up'. Surely this should be clockwise? See photos below. The way that regulator control is configured, then screwing it clockwise would appear to be the way to 'block off' that airway? Of course my 'logic' may be wrong. I don't want to switch it on full blast at my first attempt!
Clock wise to increase line pressure, anti clock wise to reduce line pressure.

So far as I know.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread