UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2017, 11:11 am   #1
Robh1966
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Black Box

Hi everybody
I am new here because I have just acquired an old Pye Black Box record player.
I know these questions will have already been answered but please bear with me and perhaps give me links to the relevant threads.

It is in fair condition but looks like someone has already been playing inside, all internals loose, one knob missing, bulb and holder flapping around. no signs of overheating
How do I find out which model I have?
Are there manuals available?
Are spares readily available?
Here is a good one. Ballpark figure for parts to repair it?

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be much appreciated.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 12:07 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Black Box

Hello and welcome.

As to which model you have, post us some pictures please.

Most spares are available, either new or secondhand/reclaimed. But the output transformers on some types have to be re-furbished by having them "re-wound" with new wire.

A selection of manuals for these is available here by e-mailed PDF @ £1.99 each: http://www.service-data.com/section.php/171/1/pye

Cost to repair if doing it yourself? Probably £20 at most for new capacitors plus any resistors that might need replacing. Valves are quite expensive but may well be OK (assuming yours doesn't have transistors). The cartridge (which the stylus fits into) might need replacing which could cost £40 or so and can be hard to track down for some types. The deck probably just needs stripping, cleaning and lubricating. Hopefully the speakers are OK or could be repaired if the suspension has become unglued. The aforementioned output transformer rewinding might cost a few tens of pounds depending on who does it, plus postage.

So not "cheap" but you could end up with a fun project and a nice machine which will outlast you, all for the price of some gadget from Currys or wherever which will be obsolete and in the recycling in a few short years.

N.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 12:15 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

You may be able to identify your model from this thread:-

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=137233
Old 13th Sep 2017, 12:37 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Sorry Colin, I forgot your excellent thread.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 1:06 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I forgive you Nick.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 3:26 pm   #6
Robh1966
Retired Dormant Member

Hi
thanks for the quick answers. It seems that I have the BBH with the mark 2 amplifier.
Please feel free to direct me to the correct place if this is wrong but here goes. After speaking to a colleague he suggested that maybe I should leave all of the original parts alone but add a modern amplifier module. Unfortunately my knowledge is rather sparse. What specification of the amplifier module would I need for this? I believe the speaker impedance is important.
Has someone got a picture showing where the pilot lamp should be fitted?
Can someone recommend a replacement cartridge/styli?
Old 13th Sep 2017, 4:42 pm   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh1966 View Post
After speaking to a colleague he suggested that maybe I should leave all of the original parts alone but add a modern amplifier module.
NO!!

PLEASE don't do that, these are nice machines and well worth restoring properly. You could either restore it yourself with help from this forum or if you want someone local to do it for you someone will likely come forward if you ask.

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't butcher it by attempting to fit a modern amplifier module.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 5:09 pm   #8
leslie5555
Heptode

I agree with Colin, usually the amp only needs to have the Hunts caps replaced and a handful of resistors and maybe the pots squirted with a bit of switch cleaner and its good to go. A new cartridge and deck cleaned will see this up and running , its good fun and rewarding when you get it going.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 5:30 pm   #9
Techman
Dekatron

Before doing anything, you need to check the state of the output transformer as regards the complete continuity of its primary winding. This will be the major deciding factor in what you decide to do next.
Old 13th Sep 2017, 5:36 pm   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Do take the advice offered above or you will end up with a worthless bodge. The Pilot lamp shines through a small hole located at the centre front bottom wooden panel.
You will see the cut out about 8mm. in diameter. It's also not just a question of putting in a solid state mono module, there are also the issues of the correct input impedence and output impedence. These amps can be easily restored, but your version does have some feedback quirks in the circuit that need to be understood by the Restorer. Also you will need a Stereo Compatible cartridge, unless all you intend to play are 45s and very early Mono LPs.