UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2018, 10:41 am   #1
Sixer-h
Triode

Default Collaro / Goldring G500 tracking weight problem

I am trying to get the tracking weight of my Pye Record Maker (Collaro motor AC 53, see photo) down to 7g for my Goldring G500 variable reluctance cartridge. The arm spring adjuster gets me down to 11g, and I am struggling to find the spring specification for sourcing a replacement. Does anyone know of a supplier of this spring, or how I should reference it for searching suppliers on-line?

Is it correct that Collaro only referenced the motor and not the deck model, as I have seen references to Collaro auto-changers having an AC 53 motor, or is there an actual deck model name/number for my player?

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01063.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	157559  
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:00 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Collaro / Goldring G500 tracking weight problem

These Collaro 3 and 4 speed single players were ususally referenced by their motor number (AC53) althougth there were some later (and now now rare) good single play units of a higher specification that had model numbers e.g. RP459(?). The arm tracking weight was pre-set to suit their Collaro "Studio" series of cartridges and there is little or no adjustment other than to de-stress the spring.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 11:11 am   #3
peter_sol
Octode

You need to shorten the spring. the deck No. will be a 4/564
Old 17th Feb 2018, 1:29 pm   #4
Sixer-h
Triode

I thought I had posted a reply, but can't see it, so apologies if this is a repeat.

Thank you Edward. Do you happen to know what tracking pressure the 'studio' tracked at? Am I trying to achieve a lower tracking weight than the arm was intended for?

Thank you Peter. I will I will shorten the spring further (trying not to permanently deform it) and If that does not work will measure the wire gauge, coils and length etc to see if I can source a replacement.

Richard
Old 17th Feb 2018, 1:37 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

The Collaro Studio was a crystal cartridge and only weighed about half of the Goldring 500. So the tracking weight range would be restricted, even from new. Almost any spring of about the right size could do the job. It's a bit of trial and error to source a 'correct' one.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 1:46 pm   #6
Sixer-h
Triode

That makes sense. I have reduced the tracking a little more, but will now try a range of springs and see what I can find.

Many thanks
Old 17th Feb 2018, 2:49 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixer-h View Post
Thank you Edward. Do you happen to know what tracking pressure the 'studio' tracked at? Am I trying to achieve a lower tracking weight than the arm was intended for?
The "Studio" tracked at around 6 grams as it also needed to handle 78s as well. The all-plastic Collaro arm on this deck is relatively low mass. Collaro only ever really intended their "Studio" cartridges to be used (try fitting another type into that small head!) and thus the tension was preset/fixed by the type of spring used.
Old 17th Feb 2018, 5:12 pm   #8
Sixer-h
Triode

Thanks Edward that is very helpful. I have ordered a range of springs on-line and will report back on success or otherwise!
Richard
Old 17th Feb 2018, 7:31 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
. Collaro only ever really intended their "Studio" cartridges to be used (try fitting another type into that small head!).
Edward, I think you're confusing this with the 'droplet' shaped one - piece arm. The one in the photo above is that with the detachable headshell, which is a fair bit longer and wider, admitting most carts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	collaro droplet head.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	157584   Click image for larger version

Name:	collaro wider head.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	157585  
Old 18th Feb 2018, 1:36 am   #10
RojDW48
Nonode

Yes - I am fairly sure I worked on this one. Detachable headshell with plenty of room for most carts (and a really good sound!). I couldn't get it down below 11 or 12gms and I didn't push it....because it wasn't mine. I would be more than happy to connive with you at reducing the stylus pressure on that lovely cartridge if you are passing my way again Sixer H.
Old 18th Feb 2018, 12:50 pm   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

On this particular machine it also has to cater for the write head when recording, another reason why it was the plug in version.
Closed Thread