UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jul 2020, 12:14 pm   #1
Randy53

Unhappy Thorens TD-125MKII not turning on

Took to repair and diagnosed need for new motor. Discovered after child turned unit on and wasn't discovered for months! Could it be something other than motor? No strobe light on either. Does anyone know if a new motor is available?
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:17 pm   #2
tony brady
Hexode

Default Re: Thorens TD-125MKII not turning on

I doubt it is the motor unless it is stiff. The motor is fed from the motor control board under the turntable. there is also a fuse which feeds the mains transformer and the strobe light so I assume it is blown due to a fault on the board.

I have the service manual for the mk1 but not the mark2. you could try to search the vinyl engine website for it
Old 8th Jul 2020, 1:31 pm   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Is the thing not powering up at all, or does the strobe light come up and the turntable just sit there trembling? If so, replacement of the two large supply capacitors may effect a cure.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 1:46 am   #4
PWH
Heptode

Just to rule out the obvious, IIRC, the speed selector has a centre OFF position so in order for it to run you must push the selector left or right at which point the strobe light will come on then engage the start button which has a microswitch that needs to engage for the motor to run..
Old 10th Jul 2020, 12:04 pm   #5
qualityten
Octode

Was the repair tech experienced with these decks?

I would also start by assuming that the motor is okay. Replacements are hard to find and expensive. (That said, it is possible to replace the motor with a DC motor, so all is not lost.) Repairs to the board controlling the motor are not difficult or expensive, so let's hope the fault lies there.

I have a Mk II deck and these do have a keen following, so it should be possible to get it going again.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 10:54 pm   #6
John Caswell
Hexode

I have had several of these where the power transformer has failed. Replace with generic toroidal from Farnell, CPC or RS components. I think the secondary voltage is 15-0-15 and a 15VA rating will be adequate.

John
Closed Thread