UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2020, 5:14 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default "I never got it to work", the story of a £15 PRC320

A few years back, at the Cobham/FRARS rally, I spotted a battered and looked-like-it-had-been-stored-in-a-chicken-shed PRC320 in a bin under one of the fleamarket-stalls. Casually enquiring of the seller he told me "I never got it to work". Now that either means he

[1]lost patience and gave up after a couple of hours of not-understanding-the-instructions,

[2]spent an entire weekend of soldering in replacement parts at random and most of the PCBs are missing tracks, or

[3]robbed it of most of the interchangeable modules so what's on-sale is an empty shell.

We talked. I bought it for £15. it could always provide knobs/meters etc for my other PRC320. Then "events" happened and it sat on a shelf for five years.

("Lockdown" time, and I was bored. In normal-times I'd have access to the entire test/instrumentation lab of my ex-company, but that's not accessible now, so this would be a "kitchen-table" refurb).

Job One: Clean off the crud. Going-over it with a paintbrush-dipped-in-white-spirit, followed by a gentle jet-wash, cleared off the grosser crud. [Thankfully the PRC320 is Royal-Marines-grade waterproof]. Then, after leaving it out in the sun for a day, I hooked it up to power/audio-gear/an antenna.

It was deaf. Really deaf. Wiggling a screwdriver into the antenna socket produced only a hint of a crackle. And even with the gain-control fully-to-the-right there was much less than the usual 'sharsh' background noise. But thankfully it didn't produce the PRC320 synthesizer wail-of-unlock on any band. There was hope!

Sticking a dummy-load on the antenna terminals and activating the PTT - lots of relay-chatter and strange audio-squeals! Interestingly, sometimes after this the 'sharsh' level would increase to what I'd expect from a healthy PRC320. More hope!

So I split the case [all those Allen-head setscrews...] Inside I found all the modules present (phew!) but module-5, the switched-mode inverter, looked to have been meddled-with. So out it came. Several of the TO5-cased transistors had been replaced, but - paradoxically - the 130V-rated tantalums (the usual failure here - they are expected to run at 125V) were original.

Having nothing better to do, I went *really* closely over the entire pair of boards with my magnifier - and - ["Hunting High and Low" - A-ha!] one of the original TO5-metal-can ICs had been replaced by a 6-pin DIL chip on a 'piggy-back' board. This looked rather professional, unlikely to have been done by an amateur. But between two of the leadouts was a tiny solder-bridge. I poked it and it broke away.

Next - a 'Kitchen Table' test-rig using resistors to simulate the expected transmit/receive loads on the different power-rails. Everything looked good! But before reassembling the module I swapped-out those troublesome 130V Tanties with modern 105C 160V-rated electrolytics.

Refitting Module-5, decent audio-level of 'sharsh' and no more relay-chatter-and-squeals when I hit transmit. But still deaf-as-a-post 90% of the time and 'odd' RF-power-out indications.

Cut-to-the-chase: the PRC320 has a two-BNC-connectors-on-a-metal-tube link between its RF I/O and its built-in ATU, the idea being that for manpack/mobile operations you use this to link to the internal ATU but if you want to connect a proper dipole antenna or use the 320 as a driver for a linear-amp in a base-station you unplug the link and have direct access to the RF I/O.
In my case the sliding 'trombone' section of the link was full of gruesome corrosion: disassembling it (spring out the plastic circlip) and cleaning using a fibreglass-tipped PCB-brush with lots of aerosol car-brake-cleaner followed by a squirt of Servisol - refitting it to the 320 gave me good receive and no odd transmit-shutdowns.

So, reassemble everything into the case [I only fitted four of the Allen-screws ftont and rear] and then an on-air test.

Yes, it's good-to-go! On 28MHz I was happily working stations in Austria, Germany and Poland.

Not bad for £15!

[Photo shows the 320 in my kitchen - yes this was a real 'kitchen worktop' rebuild!"]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	320.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	209471  

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 25th Jun 2020 at 5:31 pm.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 8:23 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: "I never got it to work", the story of a £15 PRC320

Great bit of fault-chasing there and a rewarding outcome- it's funny how things can be an ill wind sometimes, a stretch of un-hasselled time can work wonders for insight and clear-mindedness. I quite like broken things with someone's "I haven't got the time...." narrative behind it- it often translates as "I've been distracted by something else and haven't bothered with it" or "TBH, I haven't a clue but pride won't let me admit it, so I've left it well alone"- either way, it often means un-molested and a straightforward fix.

Fingers crossed it keeps ackling!
Old 27th Jun 2020, 7:26 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It was kinda methodical - the sort of follow-the-trail-even-if-it-does-not-seem-to-lead-anywhere stuff I tought my techs..

"Why did they do this?" was always a fun game.

The PRC320 in question continues to work well, though I still don't understand its "AM" behaviour.
Officially it's supposed to run a sort-of 'controlled carrier' AM, where the basic carrier-level is varied with a tine-constant of several seconds to follow the audio.

Talk, and the carrier-level rises quickly; stop-talking and the carrier drops-back to save battery-power [plenty of 1950s/1960s ham-radio gear used the same approach]

What seems odd on this particular PRC320 is that yes, talking on 'High Power' AM the carrier slides to follow the audio - but then when I stop talking it ramps-up the carrier to something like 50 Watts, before after a few seconds throttling it back to a more-sensible 'idling 10 Watts DC input'.

I'm not complaining though: working on 80/160M AM I'm regularly complemented on my audio-quality.
Old 27th Jun 2020, 8:43 pm   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

A courageous man indeed.
Old 27th Jun 2020, 9:36 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
A courageous man indeed.
In the days when I needed-to-work, I was the guy to who the 1st/2md/4rd/4th-level techs handed the "this problem is truly insoluble!" jobs.

And was happy to fold the problem back on them, pointing-out the signs and symptoms they'd missed, and - sometimes - after a walkthrough - offering them the opportunity to put their name rather than mine on the problem-resolution ticket.

"You've not failed to diagnose the problem, you've just not been provided with sufficient information or understanding".

I was always happy to see my techies go on to bigger and better things. And the juniors understood that if they approached me with a _real_ problem (rather than wanting me to fix things for them so they could slope-off early on a friday) I'd help them to understand their problem and guide them towards a solution in a way that made it a teaching-experience.

[only one exception to this: when I fired an entire software-development team because they refused to provide me with their code so I could do a line-by-line walkthrough. Part of mme thinks that by doing this I may have prevented a significant aviation-disaster]
Old 1st Jul 2020, 12:30 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
[only one exception to this: when I fired an entire software-development team because they refused to provide me with their code so I could do a line-by-line walkthrough. Part of mme thinks that by doing this I may have prevented a significant aviation-disaster]
Must have been military. In the civil aviation world they'd have been shredded by DO-178 MOPS for software certification, and its equivalents.

David
Old 1st Jul 2020, 7:40 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Must have been military. In the civil aviation world they'd have been shredded by DO-178 MOPS for software certification, and its equivalents.
Not military or civil - but scientific-research. A team of postgrads are *really not qualified* to uniquely decide the power-levels/wavelengths of coherent light they can freely squirt-about inside/outside the airframe, whether it's sitting-on-the-slab or in-flight.

[NOAA didn't like me for what I did]
Closed Thread