UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2020, 10:39 am   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Extra flux anyone?

For many years I never used extra flux, well there was Ersin Multicore solder so I never thought I needed it. I could solder components together or into PCBs, when it came to say solder insulated speaker wires together the amount of time needed to get heat into the centre of the joint would cause the insulation to melt. Then I discovered flux paste when tinning PCBs. The heat transfer is nearly instant giving less time for the heat to transfer where it's not wanted. This is what I use, It is off the net, I have no connection with any of the sellers, just a happy customer who feels the need to spread word.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854103.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	205693  

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 13th May 2020 at 10:44 am.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:57 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Extra flux anyone?

I keep a tin of plumbing flux handy for 'difficult' solder joints. Cored solder depends on what you are soldering being clean, the acid based flux gets the crud off, but you need to clean the joint well afterwards as it's corrosive.

Peter
Old 13th May 2020, 11:43 am   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Years ago I had a gold coloured 400ml size aerosol can of Electrolube "PCL". Printed circuit lacquer. It was excellent for spraying onto shiny copper pcb or veroboard. It smelt of ether. When a coating had dried it provided protection from tarnishing or fingerprints caused by handling. Applying hot solder the coating dissolved and acted as an excellent flux.
Not seen it around for a long time. Most coatings I looked up a while back seem to be of the conformal coating type.
Rob
Old 13th May 2020, 12:19 pm   #4
Keith956
Heptode

You can buy flux pens from RS Online, they are less messy I find and seem to work quite well.
Old 13th May 2020, 12:26 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Good shout - just ordered a tin. I have plumbing flux, but that is super-aggressive.

I also remember the printed circuit lacquer, and used it on self-made circuit board and veroboard. But everything I design now ends up at a Chinese board house as Gerbers. As quick to do as a tape up, cheap as can be, and superb quality.

Craig
Old 13th May 2020, 12:36 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Years ago I had a gold coloured 400ml size aerosol can of Electrolube "PCL". Printed circuit lacquer. It was excellent for spraying onto shiny copper pcb or veroboard. It smelt of ether. When a coating had dried it provided protection from tarnishing or fingerprints caused by handling. Applying hot solder the coating dissolved and acted as an excellent flux.
Not seen it around for a long time. Most coatings I looked up a while back seem to be of the conformal coating type.
Rob
There was a chap who wrote in Television in the 70s or 80s whose mantra seemed to be spray everything with circuit laquer
Old 13th May 2020, 12:57 pm   #7
factory
Octode

Did the chap in Television mention to clean the circuit boards first? Or just use it to seal in the crud.

David
Old 13th May 2020, 1:13 pm   #8
ITAM805
Nonode

I used to use that stuff John but found it a mess to clean up afterwards. I switched to low residue liquid, Warton 'Future 315' from RS, sorted
Old 14th May 2020, 12:31 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Extra flux anyone?

Back in the '70s I acquired a tin of Coraline flux & I still use it today, although not often. It's really effective as additional flux for 'difficult to tin' surfaces. But the point of this post is this: it's still available: a quick Google search will find it.

Al.
Old 14th May 2020, 2:31 pm   #10
chriswood1900
Octode

I keep some plumbers flux for plumbing but never use it on electrical work, I find it much too aggressive and hard to remove the residue. But I do use the flux pens particularly on SMD repair work where it does help get good joints.
Old 14th May 2020, 3:49 pm   #11
Andrew B
Heptode

I have one of the bottles of IPA/flux with a little brush, bought from a well-known site.

Andrew
Old 14th May 2020, 4:06 pm   #12
Sinewave
Octode

I always give de-soldering braid a squirt of flux, for that extra wicking action.
Old 14th May 2020, 4:06 pm   #13
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
I have one of the bottles of IPA/flux with a little brush, bought from a well-known site.
Sounds like flux remover?
Old 14th May 2020, 4:18 pm   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
I always give de-soldering braid a squirt of flux, for that extra wicking action.
I also do this, improves the braid a lot. I does leave a residue but is easily cleaned with squirt of flux remover.

John.
Old 14th May 2020, 7:05 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

For very many years FLUXITE used to advertise in the Wireless World and probably other engineering books with the cartoon characters 'The FLUXITE Quins at Work'
This one is from the WW dated February 1945.

One of FRY'S big works was just along the road from my shop at Tandem works, Christchurch Road Colliers Wood, London S.W.19.

It was an amazing foundry building that looked like a temple with a copper dome and clock. Dashed to pieces years ago to make way for yet more shopping that was not required and cannot be afforded. You know the sort of thing.They didn't even keep the fantastic dome and clock tower.

I have two tins of Fluxite with amazing picture lids! Only used for soldering to steel chassis these days but it had a very strong connection with the early radio manufactures. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fluxite.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	205833   Click image for larger version

Name:	img029.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	205834  
Old 14th May 2020, 11:18 pm   #16
Radio1950
Hexode

Ahhhh... Fluxite.... memory lane time.
I delved into my old stuff and found my tin of ...
"Baker's Solderine" (no gnomes unforunately!) which I think I bought in about 1966.
It was a mildly activated rosin paste, and worked well with soldering onto the metal chassis of old valve radios etc.
Amazingly, it is still available, with same name.
Chemicals are prolly slightly different.

Nowadays I use a NoClean gel flux in a pen.

And like OldJohn, I am using this more and more.
Magic for very mild corrosion on old component leads.
If I am repairing vintage stuff, and looking for suspect joints, and resoldering, I always use this stuff.
The pen means you can apply a smidgen (technical term) to even DIL IC leads etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solder Flux DSC07946.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	205856  
Old 15th May 2020, 10:44 am   #17
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember the Fluxite twins from the time I used to save up my pocket money for a 'Wireless World'. I didn't understand a lot of it bought it mainly for the Ex WD ads.

Peter
Old 15th May 2020, 8:33 pm   #18
mark_in_manc
Octode

I have large, ancient tins of Coraline and Bakers Solderine, and a small green and white tin of Fluxite which looks a good bit older than the ones in John's pictures. The Coraline had been hanging around at work since the 60s, and found its way out when the H&S lady got all COSHH and paperwork was not available! Around the rim of the small Fluxite tin it suggests it can be used for case hardening, and that one might apply for a leaflet detailing improved methods. I wonder if anyone knows about this...?
Old 15th May 2020, 8:45 pm   #19
chris.oates
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
For very many years FLUXITE used to advertise in the Wireless World...
This one is from the WW dated February 1945.
The advice about soldering your bike spokes together doesn't seem to have caught on.

Chris
Old 16th May 2020, 11:26 am   #20
McMurdo
Dekatron

fluxite is still sold in those pretty green tins! That and fry's powerflow are good if you need to rework corroded boards or where you have to solder in a NOS chip with tarnished legs. But as already said, thorough cleaning afterwards is a must otherwise the joints will go a dull greeny grey as it starts eating the board.

Just like Nestle's, Cadbury's, & Rowntree's, Fry's are now called just 'Fry'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frys.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	205966