UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2020, 11:38 pm   #61
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Default Re: Help with a Philips Anubis AAC Set

I might be on the right track, after observing the board earlier, and testing all fusible resistors ive found 3370 a fusible resistor thats used for starting the Horizontal Oscillator within the Jungle IC is a dud, I've none that i can use to replace and test but ive ordered some from eBay so back to the waiting game for them to be delivered. No other cracks spotted also which is a good sign though i did spot 1 pad that had lifted so i have that repaired.
Old 21st May 2020, 2:11 am   #62
ben
Dekatron

Don't know if this has already been mentioned: TV mag May 2001 covers this chassis (exactly 19 years ago!) Not much use in this case/fault, but posted for future reference.
Old 28th May 2020, 4:27 pm   #63
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi All

Back to this Philips, New Fault, I changed that fuseable resistor, no change, my next move was to change the vertical IC but before i did that i noticed there was some bad joints on the Switch Mode transformer, so set about soldering it, tipped the soldering Iron off one of the pins and a tiny spark, thought nothin of it and finished resoldering, powered the set on and Fuse blown with large spark, thought the BUT somehow might have gotten damaged, replaced it also notices 6517 was shorted so replaced it and a tiny smd resistor was blown off the board replaced it same result each time, mains fuse blown and large spark from it in the process.

any ideas? could the transformer have been killed somehow?
Old 29th May 2020, 1:23 pm   #64
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The short answer (no pun intended) is no.
What will have happened is many semiconductor devices will have been damaged. Philips used to supply a kit of parts including the BUT, the fuse, the opto and the bridge rectifier diodes. All these parts will need changing as well as some SMD transistors and resistors. I don't have the list of parts needed, I'm afraid, though I'm sure someone will have.
Moral is to always discharge (safely) the mains reservoir capacitor before undertaking any work.
Old 29th May 2020, 8:05 pm   #65
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Found the Kit on eBay SOPS7021 good few bits in it, hate changing smds but i guess i have no choice, my mistake discharging the cap, sleep deprivation and TV repair do not go well together, Hopefully when i replace that kit it at least brings the set back to life so i can focus on all its other problems. Even though ive already replaced the Flyback i might order another to have on standby, from what i gather the flyback in these sets was prone to breakdown quite easily.

Ive repaired sets with lightning damage that were easier than this Philips
Old 29th May 2020, 10:50 pm   #66
Red to black
Nonode

To be honest I would have scrapped this by now, it is one thing to patch a cracked pcb for onesself, and if it was repairable you would have fixed it anyway.
Once you need to start ordering Psu repair kits on top of all of this it is time to call it a day.
It probably goes against the ethos of this forum however these were not that special anyway.
Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

Last edited by Red to black; 29th May 2020 at 10:58 pm.
Old 30th May 2020, 12:32 am   #67
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

May not seem special to most but it was the TV i spent my childhood in front of so for me it is special. The parts kit is 4.99 which is fair considering the amount of parts in it vs buying them individually.

A CRT doesn't have to be from year dot to be vintage or worth something to someone. Ive a Ferguson IKC2 that most people on here would probably happily burn in a fire but it was the TV my Nanny had that i spent every weekend watching so i wouldn't scrap it for anything and it works like a dream and its its 29 year life has needed just a New Flyback.

Everyone on here has been so helpful with this set thus far and I really appreciate it, im determined to get this tv working again, im sure people on here have fixed tvs much older and in much worse condition sure ive even repaired other Philips Sets like my GR2.2 which had its board badly damaged (several pads lifted/blown off) in the line out stage and i got that going again so i still have Hope it can be saved.
Old 30th May 2020, 9:50 am   #68
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I suppose most of us are repairing junk that in most people's opinion should be in the skip!
Like R2B, back in the day this type of TV was a bread and butter repair that we needed to fix and shift quickly. A cracked PCB was a no-no, and a blown PSU would have needed us to evaluate whether the age of the set justified a fairly time-consuming repair. It was just a grey plastic box to us and there were plenty more!
Fast forward 25 years and if it's special to you then it justifies all the hard work and cost involved.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:19 am   #69
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Thanks Glyn,

Its a special tv to me, i know Anubis Sets were everywhere in the 90's and if it was 10 years ago i could probably find a few of these sets on eBay and do a Chassis swap but they're few and far between now
Old 30th May 2020, 2:45 pm   #70
Red to black
Nonode

No disrespect meant by me of course
This particular set is obviously special to you so have at it.

I repaired many IKC2 sets back in the day too.
Old 30th May 2020, 6:24 pm   #71
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I know, I was just venting after a stressful day at work, no offence taken

Have ordered the Sops kit for the Philips, few days time Hopefully i'll have it back to life
Old 30th May 2020, 9:11 pm   #72
Red to black
Nonode

I for one will be interested to see how you get on.
I didn't mean to sound so negative, I really do hope you manage to fix it, fingers and toes crossed for you, I have been following your posts/threads with the updates, good luck with it either way.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:31 pm   #73
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Thanks for the support, Hoping this kit gets the power back at least. If i get this set back to full operation it'll be a hell of an achievement, I'm gonna keep at it till i do
Old 31st May 2020, 9:21 pm   #74
ben
Dekatron

I vaguely recall stashing a 21" Anubis set in a dank corner of the workshop many moons ago. I think it had an unusual fault whereby adjusting the contrast or brightness made the picture fade to black from the bottom up!

If I still have it, you'd be welcome to any bits from it because I have so many working black plastic sets of that size I doubt I'd ever do anything with it.

The catch is:
a) no idea when I'll be able to get to that part of the workshop to dig it out
b) I'd be able to bring the chassis of whatever parts you needed with me to the UK, but no idea when that would be.
c) Postage from here might be expensive, but I could check.
d) There may be other faults that have developed in the interim (has not been powered up for at least 10 years)

I am hoping to be able to go to the workshop in the next week or so as the lockdown restrictions are easing. If you think you might be interested despite the above, let me know.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 1:32 am   #75
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi Ben

That would be amazing if you could do that, If you could salvage the Chassis from it and i'll Happily Pay for postage, whatever faults exist on the Chassis you have Im sure it would be a much easier fix than the multitude of problems my set has.

I could continue trying to fix my chassis in the meantime so wont mind waiting for your one whatever amount of time it takes.

Here's a Picture of my set, Hopefully your Anubis is the same. Its a 21PT166A with Anubis AAC.

Thank you for the offer, been looking on eBay hoping one would turn up but nothing so far so this is really the lifeline my set needs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200601_012518.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	207340  
Old 6th Jul 2020, 9:43 pm   #76
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Hi all

Small update, got the power supply kit and fitted, set now has power but sops transformer is whining no standby led present and +95 is at 107v. R3557 is heating up alot and 5v is missing, from an old service tips pdf for this chassis i found it describes this excat issue and highlights 6540 (SFOR5D43) as being the culprit, couldnt find an SFOR5D43 so found an equivalent online and have it ordered. Waiting game again
Old 9th Jul 2020, 10:25 pm   #77
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I've just found a Philips 21PT166B. Its using Anubis AA5 which is nearly the same as the AAC but has a slightly different power supply and 5.5w Sound output vs 3w. Design is the same, back panel is slightly differwnt cquse the antenna and scart positions are swapped but i could use the back panel from the donor set for mine other thsn that its essentially the same. Think a donor Chassis is the only way im gonna see this set working again as its own board may be too far gone to salvage. I'll still lookout for an AAC chassis in the future but theyre hard to come by. The AA5 set i spotted on eBay today, its in the UK and the seller offered postage to Ireland on the listing so I jumped at it as its the closest i can get to my set and its rare to see a UK seller offer postage to Ireland without me essentially pleading my case to them as ive had to do in the past in similar situations.

I'll post updates once it arrives and the 'transplant' is completed
Old 10th Jul 2020, 2:53 am   #78
Maarten
Dekatron

Sorry for being pedantic, but AA5 is the chassis name which is short for Anubis A version 1995. The letters AA, AB, AC etc. go behind the chassis name to indicate revisions, this habit was apparently taken from Magnavox. So the meaning of "AA5" is not in line with "AAC", though the "AA5 AA" chassis was the direct successor to the "Anubis A AC" chassis.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 10:52 am   #79
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Sorry for being pedantic, but AA5 is the chassis name which is short for Anubis A version 1995. The letters AA, AB, AC etc. go behind the chassis name to indicate revisions, this habit was apparently taken from Magnavox. So the meaning of "AA5" is not in line with "AAC", though the "AA5 AA" chassis was the direct successor to the "Anubis A AC" chassis.
Its ok, I know that, Philips seemed very Happy with the Anubis Chassis and kept it going for a long time hence all the revisions. The replacment chassis im getting is AA5 AB. Two stepa above the AAC version. I didnt feel the need to add the AB revsion detail in my previous message,
Old 10th Jul 2020, 7:47 pm   #80
IKC2E51R8
Hexode

I dont believe it, today, not even 24 hours after buying that AA5 Chassis set, a 21" Anubis AAC set pops up on eBay, literally couldnt believe my eyes, I've asked the seller if they'd offer shipping to Ireland so i can have my set restored as it should be
Closed Thread