UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2013, 10:38 pm   #41
thermionic
Heptode

Default Re: NVCF - 12th MAY 2013

Hi Jon
My mistake, you're probably correct. Are these fetching this sort of price now? Sorry I didn't see you there or would have stopped for a natter..

The set in question was on Steves stall.

SimonT
Old 12th May 2013, 11:16 pm   #42
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brased View Post
The organisation was excellent and the atmosphere very friendly. I used the train and the convenient shuttle bus. It's just a small point but the shuttle bus information on the NVCF website needs updating or deleting. The information is correct on the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre website.
Noted, I will sort that in the morning, and check it before next years event. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
...apart from spending a whole hour inching along a two-mile stretch of the A46 Coventry bypass on the way down - though I can hardly blame NVCF for that.
That's unfortunate. My route (M27, M3, A34, M40 and local A roads each end) was clear and free flowing both ways.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2013, 11:29 pm   #43
KeithsTV
Nonode

I spent about half an hour in that queue but it didn't spoil my day. Busy collecting and handing over items and meeting up with forum members.

Looking forward to next year.

Keith
Old 13th May 2013, 12:12 am   #44
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Well, the NVCF has come and gone for another year. Very well organized as usual. I would like to put on record my thanks to Mike Barker for sorting me out a chair after I forgot to bring mine from home. I don't think that I could have stood at our table all day with no chance of a sit down. Thanks Mike.

Ian
Old 13th May 2013, 8:16 am   #45
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hi,
I had a very good day, I came away with less than I took too (SWMBO) will be pleased!
The hall was indeed very busy with all manner of things on offer.

I met up with a few forum pals through the day and it was most enjoyable.

All I bought was some rubber cabinet feet, 4 out of date brand new PP9's for £2, a music box for Emily and quite a nice Bush VHF80 in black and red for a tenner!

Lastly a big thanks to jim for selling the wrist bands before time, that helped us all move in quickly!
and thanks to the organisers and all involved with the running of this event that make it happen.
Looking forward to next year already and I may have a stall!

Cheers
Old 13th May 2013, 8:30 am   #46
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Yet another great day! I'm sure it was up on numbers as well.

Met many old pals and didn't meet many others whom I'd liked to have seen.
Didn't spot HKS or Duke Nukem.

As I'm seriously trying to reduce the stuff on the to-do pile I just came away with a NAD cassette player for a fiver; whey were rather expensive when new and this one probably only needs a belt and the mechanics overhauled.

Never seen as many TV22's in one place! The two huge induction coils with mile-long spark gaps must be impressive if they work.
Old 13th May 2013, 9:25 am   #47
threeseven
Octode

Had a very enjoyable and interesting day, as usual with the NVCF. Only 2 complaints, there is only one NVCF per year, and I spent too much!
One thing I really enjoy is the really interesting conversations I have with people I've never met before. One of my chats yesterday was of the 'confessions of a telephone engineer' type with a time served GPO Telephone engineer. Much of it was unrepeatable here!
Thanks to all involved and in particular to those that very kindly provided FCS for me. As a group we are evidently one of the rare surviving examples of mutual respect, civility and politeness remaining in todays society, this I greatly value and appreciate.
Old 13th May 2013, 11:05 am   #48
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeseven View Post
Had a very enjoyable and interesting day, as usual with the NVCF. Only 2 complaints, there is only one NVCF per year, and I spent too much!
Aren't those two complaints contradictory? If you spent too much at one NVCF, you would end up spending even more if they were more often.
Old 13th May 2013, 11:17 am   #49
threeseven
Octode

Tongue was very firmly in cheek!
Old 13th May 2013, 12:41 pm   #50
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

Yesterday's NVCF event was the best I've been to, with plenty of bargains and generally items at realistic prices. I was there at 9.00am and didn't leave until 3:30pm. I got some bargains including ...

Philips 431A £7 (mint potential)
Ultra U405 £15 (virtually unmarked)
2 Ultra T401s £5 (will build into 1 very nice set)
2 Hacker Mk1 Sovereigns £10 (will build into 1 very nice set)
Late Hacker Hunter £10 (no aerial, grubby but will be a nice set)
Loads of NOS wirewound resistors £2
NOS Brimar 12K8GT valve £2
2 x M&B NOS Brimar 6U5G magic eye valves £10
NOS Mullard UL41 valve tested £12

I've got some work to get on with now !

And it was good to meet so many friendly folk from the forum there

Howard
Old 13th May 2013, 2:36 pm   #51
harvestgold
Hexode

It was another superb NVCF for me although I bought more than I sold on the B&B this year!

I bought a couple of smallish reel-to-reel recorders, a Philips EL3301 cassette recorder, a beautiful Defiant attache case radio and a Decca TP22 transistor set (like the one in the recent BVWS Bulletin). There were a few other bits and pieces too.

Thanks so much to those who organise it all for us!
Old 13th May 2013, 6:47 pm   #52
audiomagpie
Heptode

A great day out as usual. Nice to catch up with forum members, BVWS team and chatted to many other folks.

The 'to do' pile is already big enough so was only after a few spares, but right at the end bagged a Murphy A72 radio with a distorted tuning dial surround but otherwise tidy cabinet and very good speaker cloth/back etc. for £15, was originally up at £30. I've already one with a poor cabinet so can now make a virtually perfect example from the two.

A lovely bright NOS ME41 magic eye (for above Murphy or an RGD) £8! My bargain of the day!

Other bits, a few metres of silicone covered wire, anglepoise type bench worklamp with magnifier, one of those quicktest mains connector blocks and some coax and audio leads, always handy in the workshop.

And enjoyed my first ice cream of the year, from 'Mr Whippy' outside, in the rain!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 13th May 2013, 6:55 pm   #53
Pilot Mariner
Hexode

Location: Burntwood, Staffordshire, UK or Kabaty in Warsaw Poland.

This year I decided to have a stall with the main aim of reducing the stock of old radios in the garage which I would probably never do anything with and to make some room, rather than make any money.
Anyway out of approx 35 items I was only left with 2 sets at the end and even with sensible "I don't want to take it back home" pricing, a sizable wadge of notes into the bargain!
So, many thanks to those who bought something including Howard who bought the 2 Ultra T401s.

Mark
Old 13th May 2013, 9:32 pm   #54
martiR2R
Hexode

My first NVCF and I must say I was very impressed.
An awful lot of work went into that - thankyou to all those responsible.
Took my dad along for the ride (he's 91!), could'nt drag him away! kept saying, "we had one of those".
A permanent fixture on my calendar now.
Martin

(did'nt actually buy anything! have to put that right next year)
Old 14th May 2013, 10:06 am   #55
Pamphonica
Nonode

An excellent show all round for me. I was glad to put names to yet more faces. Well done Mike, Jim, Jeremy and all the rest of the team. A lot of comments heard about how well it is organised.

The Bring & Buy was definitely busier and better supported than last year. Items for sale started piling up even before opening, including some donated items from nearby stall holders, for which many thanks. I think the "take" was over £400.

I managed to be fairly restrained. A small and very reasonably priced stereo Rogers amp I could not resist plus a stack of old Radio Constructors and a couple of books.

The final bargain was a round Eddystone speaker that I had been looking for for ages. This appeared just at 4pm as the clear-up was starting. A stall holder asked me if I was looking for one, as we were discussing an Eddystone radio. It had been hidden, used as a support under a flying helmet during the show. Both had remained unsold! I was well pleased.

And thanks to everyone who turned up and collected all those radios from me as arranged. The museum got an extra £60 on the day from the generous donations.

- Jeremy
Old 16th May 2013, 7:42 am   #56
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I was there from noon. Bought some Lp's, Mags and very interesting books re BBC history. Limited on hardware as I was already picking up [finally] an A92 from Bicester and this also morphed into a pair of Hi Fi cabinets!

During the last purchase at the Fair, I inadvertently placed my video cam on the floor and left it behind . Fortunately I noticed the absence when we set off and were only a few hundred yards away. I was able to trace it back via the stall holder to the BVWS HQ and then Jim in the Ticket Box. I can't help thinking that at many other events it might have been the last I would have seen of it, so thanks to everyone concerned - it's something of a tribute to the sort of people who make up the "vintage" community I think .

Dave W
Old 16th May 2013, 9:16 am   #57
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Dave, pleased you got your camera back, I hope I will be as lucky. Three days after the show I realised my folding chair was missing. It has a black tubular frame with grey cloth upholstery, left on stall M1. Please PM me if you can help.
John.
Old 16th May 2013, 9:44 am   #58
Paul Stenning
Administrator

John, email Mike Barker if you haven't already. If it was found he will know what happened to it.

Dave, yes the stallholder or someone bought your camera to the BVWS stall and we put it in the ticket office for safe keeping. I remember you coming over to the stall only a few minutes later. I'm pleased it was reunited so quickly.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th May 2013, 11:26 am   #59
murphymad
Heptode

John,

You need to contact the Warwickshire Exhibition centre to see if when the tables were cleared, they found your chair.

We also had a pair of ladies glasses handed in, but despite a couple of calls on the Tannoy system, no one came to claim them.
They are held in the lost property at the centre as well.

A fabulous day all round! Very long and very exhausting, but well worth it.

The only thing I bought was 3 CK12 CRT sockets to donate to the Bletchley Park EDSAC project.
I think I got away lightly...

Thanks to everyone who supported the show, it does seem to be on the increase for both stall holders and attendance once again.

Mike...
Old 16th May 2013, 11:58 am   #60
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thanks Mike, I have contacted W,E,C and one chair had been handed in, but not the one I left
Still hoping some one knows what happened to it, John.
Closed Thread