UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2014, 1:28 pm   #21
robin coleman
Hexode

Default Re: Some forgotten Gerry Wells ......

Looking through some early bulletins I have recently purchased, the video was being sold there as a tour of the BVWTM. In a later bulletin the for love of money had a write up on it about the round Ekco.

Regards, Robin.
Old 13th Jul 2014, 7:15 pm   #22
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Radio Night was broadcast on the 18th December 1993 – I remember this very well as my youngest Son Jeff was born the early hours of the next day!

I was sitting listening and watching this show with my Wife who sported a massive bump with that ‘Women’s Intuition’ the birth was very much imminent – and it was

I did find this web site if it is of interest:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0828621/

Regards
Terry.
Old 13th Jul 2014, 10:47 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

Yet another TV programme with Gerry in (and also forum member Carl Glover) was all about collecting things, in this case, vintage radios. There's a bit about Gerry's round ekco building as well. I have it on VHS / dvd transfer. The radio section begins with the presenter dressed in a dinner jacket tuning in a radio dial with the camera looking out through the glass.
Old 13th Jul 2014, 11:07 pm   #24
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I hadn't seen that first video before, doesn't Gerry look young! Accumulators were 6d to charge when I was doing them, HT batteries were 10/- for the 90 volt and 12/6d for the 120 volt, grid bias batteries were 1/9d .Thanks for posting it.

Peter
Old 14th Jul 2014, 6:24 am   #25
robin coleman
Hexode

Is that available on the net Kevin?

Regards, Robin.
Old 14th Jul 2014, 11:13 am   #26
Nicklyons2
Octode

I believe Gerry also appeared in the Ch4 series "The Long Summer". Narrated by Alan Bennett, the series portrayed the period of progress immediately prior to WWII. There was a particularly good episode which examined the rise of Broadcasting and the Automobile. I may have a copy somhere in the VHS 'archive'/pile.
Old 14th Jul 2014, 3:01 pm   #27
robin coleman
Hexode

I had look for that as it was mentioned in a bulletin as well. Not on the net yet though, they don't repeat the good programmes.
Old 14th Jul 2014, 5:32 pm   #28
tedzed1
Hexode

The long Summer is available to buy on DVD.

http://www.myrarefilms.co.uk/store/p...V_on_DVD_.html
Old 3rd Aug 2014, 2:32 pm   #29
ianj
Heptode

All of Gerry's television appearances back to BBC Nationwide in 1977 were kept on U-matic at the Museum. All (many hours) have been transferred by Terry Martini onto DVD's. However with Gerry's declining health and Eileen's workload with him now, the duplication project for copies to sell to raise funds) ground to a halt.
Closed Thread