UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Apr 2009, 4:33 pm   #1
GrahamN
Hexode

Default Pam Record Deck

Can anyone tell me anything about this record deck?

I picked it up earlier today at an Antiques fair - and was told it was a portable record player from the 1930s. In fact, there is no amp or speakers and it seems far too heavy to be a portable - as well as needing mains power and seperate amp / speaker.

I can't see any model numbers etc. except that it has the Pam name on the metal case, and the turntable is a 78rpm only Garrard.

It does seem a strange thing to do - put a turntable only into a very heavy steel case with a carrying handle - and I wonder what possible use it would have had.

I would like in any case to get it going. Is there a step-by-step guide to refurbishing old record decks anywhere that's worth reading before I jump in?

Thanks

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24477   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 002.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24478   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 003.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24479   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	24480   Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	24481  

Last edited by GrahamN; 10th Apr 2009 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Added Photos...
Old 10th Apr 2009, 5:04 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Pam Record Deck

Pam - or Pamphonic to give them their full title - manufactured Public Address systems among other things.

This looks to me like the add on record deck for a PA system. It is certainly rugged enough.

I recall using something only slightly more sophisticated at various school sports days and village fĂȘtes in the 1960s.

Regards,
Old 10th Apr 2009, 5:17 pm   #3
GrahamN
Hexode

Thanks Brian.

That makes sense. I never gave P.A. a thought.
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:31 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
I had a Pamphonic PA amp from our local footy ground many years ago, it was in a 19" hammerite green steel case and worked well. That amp taught a young lad (me) a lot about healthy HT supplies, Ouch! . Like an idiot, I sold it a few years ago for peanuts not realising (then) the value of the nearly new KT88's living within !!
I've often wondered if there was any connection betwixt Pamphonic and Pye, 'cos Pam tellies of the fifties & sixties had a distinctly "Pye-ish" look about them didn't they?
Cheers de Pete
Old 10th Apr 2009, 9:51 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Oh yes indeed.

Pam was one of the many offshoots of the Pye empire.

That's why the first British-made transistor radio was badged Pam rather than Pye. If it turned out to be a flop C.O. Stanley wanted nothing to do with it!

(Ref The Radio Man, Frankland & Bussey, Pub IEE, Page 298).

Regards,
Old 11th Apr 2009, 10:59 am   #6
ajs37
Heptode

That's interesting - I never realised Pamphonic was related to Pye, or that it was originally producing PA systems - I have an old Pamphonic tuner (mono of course) and always wondered where the name came from.

As for the original post, just looking at the case, it looks like a 50s player - but with that deck, should it be earlier?
Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread