UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2016, 11:22 am   #1
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Signal Generator HP200

I'm wondering, was the HP200 (any variant of) made to suit 240V mains? Obviously the early models were built by a couple of guys in a garage, for American 110V power, but I'd rather like one and living in Britain, it would be nice not to have to ether use a step down transformer, or rewind the original! Not to say that avoidable modification of Hewlett-Packard original work would be sacrilegious anyway!
Old 5th May 2016, 1:24 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Signal Generator HP200

HP 200C and 200D were later versions pretty much the original circuit but miniature valves. 110 and 240v selectors were standard. But in a newer style case, I'm afraid. Still Bill's bulb.

I bought one for £15 about 15 years ago and stood it in the lobby of the Queensferry microwave division. Don't know where it got to. It was only on loan from me, but I've left and the buildings are all demolished.

David
Old 5th May 2016, 5:43 pm   #3
factory
Octode

I have quite a large collection to HP test equipment from the late 1950's to 1970's, all of mine have either solder links on the mains transformer, or a slide switch for changing between 110V or 240V operation.

David
Old 5th May 2016, 5:59 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

The 200A was certainly kept on the catalogue for a long time and there are examples in Europe, so they must be 220-240v capable.

The 200A is a nice bit of history. I once came back from lunch to my desk to find the designer of it sitting on my work bench, swinging his legs and looking at a breadboard I was building.

David
Old 5th May 2016, 7:22 pm   #5
factory
Octode

The manuals for both early and later HP 200 audio oscillators can be found on the HP archive website here: http://www.hparchive.com/hp_equipment.htm

The manuals for the single letter variants only mention 110V operation, including the circuit diagram & parts lists. I would be surprised if there aren't 230V versions though.

The earliest mains powered item in my HP collection is the 500A, it can run from both 110V or 230V, with a tag strip for changing voltage.

Its always worth checking HP equipment is set for the correct voltage, even if it was bought in the UK, I've had a few UK bought ones set for 110V.

David
Old 5th May 2016, 11:20 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Thanks folks, I'll keep looking then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The 200A is a nice bit of history. I once came back from lunch to my desk to find the designer of it sitting on my work bench, swinging his legs and looking at a breadboard I was building.
Wow! You HAVE moved in exalted circles!
Old 5th May 2016, 11:49 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Not really
Old 6th May 2016, 12:22 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

I went over the editing time limit...

Not really. They were good engineers and good human beings. What was special was that even confronted with success and wealth, they kept those values. They kept abreast of technologies and could see through flim-flam. There were a couple of tales floating around the lab of people who'd tried bullshitting an answer to a technical question. They made it absolutely clear that it was their lab and that they could wander around it and chat to people without the presence of hierarchical management. You had a nice engineer-to-engineer natter without an audience.

They created a culture where all levels were expected to wander around, know everyone else and what was going on. The very antithesis of the mushroom culture.

Everyone in the place met them from time to time, and they took an interest in everyone and everything.

David