UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2014, 3:21 pm   #1
Magic Eye
Pentode

Default Valve storage

Hi
My valve collection currently resides in cardboard boxes in the garage. I am thinking of rationalising and transferring them to plastic boxes with lids. What are peoples' views on this. The only drawback I can think of is that if there is any moisture on the valves it will be trapped.

thanks
Jon
Old 19th Jul 2014, 5:34 pm   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Valve storage

Mine are in the original, or replacement card boxes, and then in plastic or cardboard boxes.
These stored in the loft, garage, shed, workshop, and even a few in the bedroom, apart from the valves that are in display cases in the lounge.
I've never had any problem with dampness, but most are in heated areas, and all boxes are opened frequently.

I suspect that the best answer is to keep them all in a heated area (which in my case would mean getting a larger house) or not to keep so many!
Old 19th Jul 2014, 5:39 pm   #3

I wouldn't bother with special measures, worst case with moisture, dirty pins (sand them clean) worst case moving them around, a box of broken glass!

Old 19th Jul 2014, 5:43 pm   #4
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I think being stored where there is a large variation in temperature can increase the probability of them cracking but generally they are pretty tough. Severe corrosion around the pins can lead to metal/glass failure but I have boxes of them in the loft of my garage loose in cardboard boxes and they have been there for years.

Peter
Old 19th Jul 2014, 6:16 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I keep mine in a dry warm environment, I had a few go down to air due to being stored in a damp shed. I am sure the sub zero winter temperatures did not help either, also I have seen 40 degrees in the summer months!

Most B9A types had cracked around the pins.

Mark
Old 19th Jul 2014, 6:51 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

I inherited a quantity of valves that had been stored in a cellar and although it appeared to be dry many of the boxes fell apart when touched. So I have about 50 new valves that are minus the outer box but have, usually, the inner wrapper where there was one. If it was just a box then I only have the valve.
It looks as though they just rotted away - they just turned to dust when touched.
Old 19th Jul 2014, 9:50 pm   #7
Glowing Bits!
Octode

I keep mine in a cupboard in the workshop, the room temperature rarely drops to 10 degrees, the dehumidifier goes on during the winter months.
Old 20th Jul 2014, 11:00 am   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Be careful of storing stuff in attics - though they should be dry, they can suffer massive temperature-excursions.

A friend of mine put his home network Ethernet switch and router in the attic - the logic being that it was both out of the way and high up so would give good WiFi coverage. It kept rebooting - on investigation the bulk-air temperature in the attic was hitting 60 Centigrade on summer afternoons and the switch's exhaust-fan air was about 75 Centigrade. Not good for the health of electrical components!
Old 20th Jul 2014, 10:44 pm   #9
Magic Eye
Pentode

Hi all
Many thanks for your replies. Looks like I will be OK transferring my valves to plastic boxes but need to beware of temperature fluctuations.
Regards
Jon
Closed Thread