UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2019, 10:21 pm   #1
caveman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Toshiba SM3500 Music Centre. Value.

Hi folks,
New to the forum.
I have found a pretty much mint condition Toshiba SM3500 Music centre inc turntable, cassette player/recorder, tuner, along with the original table that it came with when sold whilst clearing out my grandmother's house (she has sadly had to move into a home).

There is some cosmetic damage to the perspex lid, the rest of it is (as far as I'm aware) in perfect order.

Does anyone know if it is worth anything, or if there is somewhere I can get it checked out?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:27 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Toshiba SM3500 Music Centre. Value.

The usual advice is to check on eBay and other similar sites to see what the Toshiba or other similar music centers actually sold for.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:34 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Agree with the above, check what they are selling for.

In this case, we're talking about a nice late 70s unit with a decent turntable and magnetic cartridge, capable of sound quality of an entry level separates hi fi. That said, the rubber parts in the cassette deck and turntable will almost certainly need changing by now and possibly some switch cleaner and lubrication may be needed to get it into reliable working order. No problem for an enthusiast but it would be to Joe public. So I would say that, in present unrestored condition with damaged lid it might be a bit harder to shift.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 11:54 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

One has been listed a few times on ebay for £45 with no takers.. I lot will depend on if you offer postage or not though as putting collection only on a listing does restrict the amount of potential buyers.
Assuming you have the original speakers I would check the foam suspension around the edge of the cones hasn't degraded.

I have a mint Sm-3750 which was a gift from my cousin. everything works well apart from the cassette deck which needs a new belt and the aforementioned problem with the speakers. It is currently used on a set of Hitachi speakers.

1970's /80's Toshiba audio was very well made I hope you find a good home for it!

Rich.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:39 am   #5
michamoo
Hexode

What a fantastic looking machine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	178342  
Old 14th Feb 2019, 8:38 am   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

We sold these when they were new in the 70’s, one of the better music centres.

If it sells and you have to post it to the buyer, check the user manual for securing the record player deck, arm and platter. I cannot remember how it was done but if you don’t it will likely get damaged in transit.
Old 14th Feb 2019, 12:06 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

In terms of getting this "checked out", is this not something that you do yourself and then you can ascertain its functioning condition and so can advertise it accordingly - or are you considering keeping/restoring it for your own use?
Old 18th Feb 2019, 1:22 am   #8
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Hi! I'm new on these forums.

If I want information on old gear I use this site:-

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Toshiba+SM3500

Leon.
Closed Thread