UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2019, 6:35 pm   #21
Paul JD
Pentode

Default Re: Identifying resistor types?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
I made the silly error some years ago of "refurbishing" my Vox AC30 with new components. At the time, I didn't realise that I was sacrificing the re-sale value and probably messing with the classic tone. I don't intend to sell it, but I would like to have it sound as close to as it did originally. Hence the interest in carbon-comp resistors.Colin.
I do a lot of work building and repairing guitar amplifiers and personally I don't hear a great deal of difference between resistor types (other than the extra hiss and crackles that come with carbon comp!). I think the main difference that people claim to hear will be due to the fact that the old carbon comps will have drifted off from their original value and there might be a noticeable difference when replacing them with a new resistor of the correct value. There is far too much mojo and snake oil around them for my liking and when customers ask for them in a new build amp I will always try to dissuade them (but of course the customer is always right!)
Closed Thread