UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2008, 8:47 pm   #1
Lapitude
Diode

Default My First Telephone 706

I got my very first telephone out of storage and fitted a BT plug cable, couple of 1N4001 diodes, a 3.3kohm resistor, a type 21A microphone (which although expensive is brilliant) and a then a quick polish. Everything worked fine, but on dialling there was a strange metallic ringing (as the dial reached the stop) in the receiver that I can only describe as a sound of an amplified spring? This also happened by tapping the case. After trying a few things I found it was the regulator board. Is it possible the lamp resistor has in some way gone microphonic or is it something else? If it is, does anybody know the spec for the lamps so I can replace them? Can I just leave it out of circuit by reversing the board? I know 706's are probably ten a penny but it was my first (red as well) and remember nostalgically it was so nice not to have to go out to the call box (why did it alway rain?)

Additionally does anyone know of a low cost alternative for the 21A?
Old 5th May 2008, 9:46 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: My First Telephone

You can reverse the regulator, although if you live close to the exchange it might overload and cause excessively loud speech. Have you tried it with the original carbon mic in cct? If so, does it make a difference?

Are you sure it's not the dial-off-normal contacts not closing properly, allowing dial-pulses to clatter through the receiver without it being shorted out?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th May 2008, 10:11 pm   #3
Lapitude
Diode

Hi thanks so much for replying. I tried the original microphone coded DAE, as one of the things to check. Reversing the board stopped the effect so I don't think the dial contacts are the culprit. Tapping the case also caused the same effect prior to reversing the PCB. Hence my question about possible regulator board faults. I would like to repair if this is the problem, as finding a replacement may prove difficult. I will leave reversed at the moment as I do not notice any issues using it

Any ideas regarding 21A alternative, I take it is some form of electret?
Old 5th May 2008, 10:14 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapitude View Post
Is it possible the lamp resistor has in some way gone microphonic or is it something else? If it is, does anybody know the spec for the lamps so I can replace them?
I have not known of the lamp resistor going microphonic, although I suppose it is a possibility. The best course of action would be to try and obtain a complete regulator board as I think that the thermistors used on the regulator board had a "special" temperature coefficient.

Quote:
Can I just leave it out of circuit by reversing the board?
Thats always an option, but as russell mentions if you live close to the exchange you may get too much sidetone, if this is a problem you could try fitting a couple of low wattage 300 ohm resistors either directly in series with the A and B legs of the incoming line, either at the master socket (although not recommended as it would be classed as tampering with the BT installation) or internally to the telephone between the Red and White of the line cord on T9 and T19 respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Are you sure it's not the dial-off-normal contacts not closing properly, allowing dial-pulses to clatter through the receiver without it being shorted out?
This could also be the cause of your problem so may be worth invsetigating.

Quote:
Additionally does anyone know of a low cost alternative for the 21A?
I don't think that there is a "low cost" alternative and am not sure where you will have obtained your 21A insert from, but these occasionally crop up in lots of five or six for quite reasonable (around £12 plus p&p) prices on e-bay.

Regards
Andrew
Old 16th May 2008, 2:09 am   #5
Lapitude
Diode

Default Re: My First Telephone 706

Hi I managed to borrow a regulator board from another 706 and it cured the problem. So it was not the dial contacts. now to find a regulator board, anybody got one?
Old 16th May 2008, 8:27 am   #6
davidw
Heptode

It might be worth resoldering all conections on the reg board.Also is the lamp resistor held by a wire strap to stop it moving,it should be! Like AndiiT I rarely found these to be a problem in service.

Last edited by davidw; 16th May 2008 at 8:28 am. Reason: my poor grammar!
Old 16th May 2008, 8:49 am   #7
Lapitude
Diode

Thanks very much for the reply. I infact resoldered the lamp joints already and restrapped to the board.I'll do the other joints tonight. Good old thick pcb and tracking, built like the proverbial! Could not help thinking about the woman doing this all day, everyday at the BT factory in Wales all those years ago.
Old 26th Jul 2008, 12:52 pm   #8
fastmacuk
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Hi thanks so much for replying. I tried the original microphone coded DAE, as one of the things to check. Reversing the board stopped the effect so I don't think the dial contacts are the culprit. Tapping the case also caused the same effect prior to reversing the PCB. Hence my question about possible regulator board faults. I would like to repair if this is the problem, as finding a replacement may prove difficult. I will leave reversed at the moment as I do not notice any issues using it

Any ideas regarding 21A alternative, I take it is some form of electret?
I have replacement regulators and also 21A mics. David
Closed Thread