UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2008, 1:51 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Telephone Type 755

I notice that a type 755 wall-mounted telephone looks identical - and is based - upon a type 746 desk telephone, with the addition of a handset-rest.

Now, I know that the older type 706 telephone can be converted to a wall-telephone (dial above handset), but is it possible to obtain a handset-rest to mount on a type 746 desk instrument to convert it to wall-use, given that the cradle position is moulded as part of the case?

- Or is the handset-rest part of the telephone body as well, and I would need the case from an actual 755 instrument to convert a 746 to wall-use?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 4:11 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Telephone Type 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I notice that a type 755 wall-mounted telephone looks identical - and is based - upon a type 746 desk telephone, with the addition of a handset-rest.....

...- Or is the handset-rest part of the telephone body as well, and I would need the case from an actual 755 instrument to convert a 746 to wall-use?
Hi,
Looking at my wall mounted 783 (basically an MF dialling 746 wall mounted), it appears that the handset rest is not an integral part of the case moulding and is held in place by a couple of screws and bolts through the vents on the casing. One thing to be wary of though, if converting a 746 (or similar) to it's equivalent 755 wall mounted, is the mounting of the dial; from memory I think you have to reverse the position of the dial mounting bracket which may require the removal of the dial cord which is best done at the dial end.

Regards
Andrew
Old 30th Apr 2008, 4:39 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Hi,
Looking at my wall mounted 783 (basically an MF dialling 746 wall mounted), it appears that the handset rest is not an integral part of the case moulding and is held in place by a couple of screws and bolts through the vents on the casing. One thing to be wary of though, if converting a 746 (or similar) to it's equivalent 755 wall mounted, is the mounting of the dial; from memory I think you have to reverse the position of the dial mounting bracket which may require the removal of the dial cord which is best done at the dial end.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew,

Many thanks!

I have a rather nice red 746 which would look good (I think!) on our kitchen wall. Once I source a handset-rest, I'll be set! Any ideas?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 5:25 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The telecoms heritage group (THG) may be able to help with a source for your parts, don't forget that you will also need the "T" shaped wall mounting bracket and captive screw, as used with the 711 and 741 series telephones, too.

Andrew
Old 30th Apr 2008, 6:35 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Hi,
The telecoms heritage group (THG) may be able to help with a source for your parts, don't forget that you will also need the "T" shaped wall mounting bracket and captive screw, as used with the 711 and 741 series telephones, too.

Andrew
Thanks again.

I have several 'Tee' mounts in my collection, and I'm a member of the THG, so I'll try there!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 7:01 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

One thing to check first, as Andrew mentioned earlier, is the dial. To use these instruments wall-mounted, you need to remove and re-fit the dial at 180 degrees to its normal position. Some 706s were made with suitable modifications so that this could be done, but I don't know if 746s were. It would be worth checking before you go any further.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 8:08 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
One thing to check first, as Andrew mentioned earlier, is the dial. To use these instruments wall-mounted, you need to remove and re-fit the dial at 180 degrees to its normal position. Some 706s were made with suitable modifications so that this could be done, but I don't know if 746s were. It would be worth checking before you go any further.
Surely all I need do is lift the dial out of its location by removing the screw that holds the clamping-ring to the cradle-switch bracket, loosen off the clamping-ring around the polythene dial protector, rotate the dial, tighten it up again and re-mount the dial?

Seems to work when I try it!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:10 pm   #8
Tom_I
Heptode

Does the dial surround fit in the rotated position, though, when the whole thing's reassembled? If it does, then you're laughing.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:49 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_I View Post
Does the dial surround fit in the rotated position, though, when the whole thing's reassembled? If it does, then you're laughing.
Not tried that (yet). I know, though, from past experience that the bezel will locate in other positions, and that it's a bit of a fiddles to loosen off and twist around! It's just a case, is it not, of making sure that the recess for the finger-stop is in the correct position when re-fitted.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread