UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2018, 2:51 pm   #1
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Vortexion CBL5 Hold Solenoid

I'm in the process of repairing a Vortexion CBL5 and the hold solenoid doesn't work. It tests OK for continuity but for some reason there is no energizing voltage. Looking at the circuit diagram I have (see attached) it appears to show the solenoid in series with the ground path of the H.T winding on one of the channels, is this correct?

Has anyone had experience with this deck? A full service manual would be nice but I can't seem to find one. I know the deck is a Ferrograph series 6 and I have the service manual for that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CBL 5 Schematic.pdf (944.8 KB, 64 views)

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 14th Sep 2018, 3:03 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Vortexion CBL5 Hold Solenoid

Ferrograph certainly put the solenoid in the HT circuit, this meant that it would not hold until the valves were warmed up and drawing current - is your amp connected and running?
Old 14th Sep 2018, 3:57 pm   #3
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I have just removed the amps and the deck from the case so that was my next check, I just wanted to make sure what I saw on the circuit was correct. I have to say that this does seem a strange configuration!

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 14th Sep 2018, 4:31 pm   #4
BillDWVA
Pentode

Hi Peter, The hold coil is actually used as part of the HT smoothing circuit and carries the HT current only when the circuit is alive and valves are warmed up - on the chassis ground side.
To release the ‘hold’ the coil is shorted out by momentary contact switches, one is the ‘Press Stop’ button and the other is the ‘Auto Stop’ on the tape arm. On the Series 5 this is operated by the flimsy plastic arm on the take-up side.
Firstly I would check that an HT current is actually flowing/being drawn by the amplifier, I think that only the LH side only is used for the solenoid operation. Then check that both the stop switches are both ‘normally open’ I.e. not shorting out the solenoid.

On the Series 4 models this solenoid was on the HT side (rather than the ground side as the 5 and 6 are) so there was HT on all these switches and coil connections - have to be careful poking around under the deck of my Series 4 when it’s switched on!

Hope this helps?
Bill
Closed Thread