UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2018, 6:36 pm   #21
Peter88gate
Tetrode

Default Re: TV with built in printer?

The original ZX Printer used that silver coated paper that had a sparking stylus which removed the top layer to show the black background as the printout was done producing black lettering.

There was a later more reliable printer independently produced called the Alphacom 32 used on the ZX computers, which took a thermal paper roll which looks about the same size as the printer roll on that Teletext printer. The rolls usually produced either a blue or black printout.

I would imagine you could still get suitable rolls because they are rather similar to thermal paper till rolls.

Peter
Old 20th Aug 2018, 7:05 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

The Alphacom 32 used a thermal print head and thermal paper in place of the Sinclair printer's spark electrode and metallised paper, but was driven the same way -- pixel by pixel, in time with pulses from an optical switch as the print head traversed the paper. Electrically, looking into the interface connector, it was the same.

Most thermal printers used to print fine on fax paper; but even that isn't so readily available anymore; the last generation of fax machines used thermal transfer ribbons, or even inkjet or laser print heads.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 8:33 pm   #23
electronicskip
Nonode

The Gameboy printer also used thermal paper which had an adhesive backing.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 2:36 pm   #24
phildil
Pentode

Re TVs with viewdata printing capability.

In the mid-80s I worked at Prestel, and for daily use in the ops centre we had rows of Philips portable colour TVs with QWERTY keyboards and attached thermal printers. These peripherals were connected to their screens with coiled leads and DIN plugs. The printers were a standard Sony item and used thermal paper, the same as used in fax machines and label printers etc, about five inches wide. They had a "print screen" button for making screendumps.

cheers
phil
Old 28th Aug 2018, 5:06 pm   #25
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Did Philips manufacture a matchline monitor style with printer?
Old 29th Aug 2018, 10:48 pm   #26
Maarten
Dekatron

Not as far as I know. Actually I only know of the 26" K35 chassis model, 26CS3890 if I remember correctly.
Closed Thread