UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2018, 11:12 am   #21
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PAL and NTSC 1980s VCRs

This is really helpful advice - thanks everyone!

Fivos - I'm jealous seeing those pictures! Such a beautiful machine!

Ian - Do you know if the Panasonic NV-J35 converts the standards, so the frame rate of an NTSC video would be playable on an 80s PAL TV?

Ben - Great advice! Could you recommend a standards converter? I've been searching high and low for one that has horizontal hold control, but yesterday learnt that a digital converter negates the need for the feature. I was thinking of getting the one pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	167961  
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 2:27 pm   #22
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by backintime View Post
Ian - Do you know if the Panasonic NV-J35 converts the standards, so the frame rate of an NTSC video would be playable on an 80s PAL TV?
I'm not Ian, but I have owned and used an NV-J35. It doesn't change the frame rate. It just regenerates the colour subcarrier so that a PAL TV understands the colours. Neither the horizontal or vertical timing is changed, so the TV needs to be able to sync to 15750Hz horizontal, 60Hz vertical. Many, especially from the 1990s onwards, will, but 1980s sets (unless carefully chosen) may give trouble.

Chris
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 4:37 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I remember the NV-J35. Back in the day when they were pretty new we had one in with no colour and erratic line lock and I was at my wit's end. Phoned Panasonic and a very patient voice said "see the flap at the front?" "Yes". "Well, open it and there you'll see a little switch. Slide it to PAL and all will be well". How to make me feel a prize idiot in one easy lesson.....
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 5:11 pm   #24
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the feedback Chris - I've just ordered (admittedly early 90s) Panasonic NV-J45 I like how there's a vhold control on the front panel in particular.

Glyn - I'll remember to use the PAL switch!
Old 25th Aug 2018, 4:49 am   #25
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Glyn. I was in a similar situation with an AKAI VS-10 (Ferguson 3V23). I had no colour and I was looking at the Chroma board adjustments, until I realised there's a colour-black and white selector switch on the back of the unit. Damn. Some problems are easier to fix than they seem to be.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 9:41 am   #26
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Ben - Great advice! Could you recommend a standards converter? I've been searching high and low for one that has horizontal hold control, but yesterday learnt that a digital converter negates the need for the feature. I was thinking of getting the one pictured.
That is an excellent standards converter. I have one. Go for it.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 9:48 am   #27
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Chris - I've just ordered (admittedly early 90s) Panasonic NV-J45 I like how there's a vhold control on the front panel in particular.
The vertical hold control on a VCR is nothing like the vertical hold on a TV.
On a TV vertical hold adjusts the frame oscillator and (we hope) the range will be sufficient to cover 60hz.
On a VCR it is for adjusting interframe flicker in still picture mode. If does not adjust the frame frequency.
Closed Thread