UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2018, 7:24 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Anyone got an SVR Video recorder?

I wasn't even aware of this format(Super Video recording SVR) until yesterday, while reading up on N1700 repairs, but it seems this was available in the UK for about a year.
Machines were branded ITT and Grundig (SVR4004) and tapes could run up to 5 hours.
I would seriously like to obtain one for my collection if I can sneak one in when her indoors goes out, but the price of them seems prohibitive looking around the net in any case so probably out of the question on both counts. Has anyone here had any experience with this format? or even own one.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 9:35 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Anyone got an SVR Video recorder?

Hi,
I had a Grundig SVR in the mid '80's. My friend appeared with it one day strapped to his moped: goodness only knows how he managed to ride it!
From memory, it used very similar tapes to the 1700 but I don't think they were quite the same. Certainly they were not compatible format wise.
I also seem to remember that the picture quality was better than the 1700. It might have had a picture sharpener which the 1700 didn't. I always wanted a 1702 at the time as it did have a sharpener.
That was the only machine I ever saw: good luck finding another one!!
All the best
Nick
Old 21st Mar 2018, 9:57 pm   #3
electronicskip
Nonode

Reading between the lines it seems that the tapes were of a higher quality using Chrome dioxide tapes made exclusively for the machine by Agfa and BASF so consequently the tapes are not interchangeable with other machines, only the SVR format.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:02 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's a distant memory but I seem to remember that Toshiba brought out a machine with this format but I don't think it was marketed. I did have a sales booklet for it but it must have got scrapped when I closed the shop. John.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 10:29 pm   #5
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Reading between the lines it seems that the tapes were of a higher quality using Chrome dioxide tapes made exclusively for the machine by Agfa and BASF so consequently the tapes are not interchangeable with other machines, only the SVR format.
Ah, maybe that's how they were able to run the tape much slower but get good quality. I don't know if I remember rightly, but 1700 tapes would fit but did some mechanical damage? There is a very distant bell ringing in my brain!
Cheers
Nick
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:17 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Didn't some N1500 owners turn down the capstan diameter on a lathe to get longer recording time?
I suppose they had to put up with extra adjacent track crosstalk.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:27 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Interesting. I'd heard the name but had no idea they were the same physical system as the N1500/1700. I'd assumed they were that pre-8mm type cassette thing Grundig brought out in the late 70s. What was that then?
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:34 am   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Do you mean Video 2000?
Half inch tape, but you could turn it over, so effectively a quarter inch format.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 12:45 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

No, I have a v2000. The one I had imagined was just a bit bigger than an audio cassette and was like a forerunner of the 8mm and VHS-C camcorder tapes that came about a decade later. Any ideas?

EDIT: Found it on the site linked earlier. I was getting my acronyms mixed up! It was CVC (Funai of all people)
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 1:11 am   #10
1100 man
Octode

That's an excellent link, Ben and well worth a read. It explains the similarities and differences between the SVR & 1500/ 1700 formats.
Cheers
Nick
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 1:47 am   #11
ianm
Hexode

I remember the Grundig SVR machines very well, mainly as a result of owning a Philips N1500 in the late 1970s and having a strong interest in video recorders generally around that time. This link might be useful:

http://www.totalrewind.org/philips/P_4004.htm

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 3:31 pm   #12
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I have a friend who owns a Grundig SVR4004. He found it at a flea market 2 years ago and as far as I know it works fine. These are getting extremely rare so it is collectible.

Fivos
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 3:34 pm   #13
electronicskip
Nonode

Ive seen a couple on auction sites but the price being asked is silly , and with no guarantee it will even work.
But I will keep my eyes open now on the rare chance one comes my way.
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 6:01 pm   #14
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Most of the times, "untested" means doesn't work...
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 8:52 am   #15
Focus Diode
Octode

It's fascinating to hear about them now but at the time, what a headache! Philips style cassettes specially adapted for the format for example.

Not long after Philips and Grundig teamed up with their V2000 format. At least they could play each others recordings.

I would imagine the SVR cassettes will be rarer than the machines themselves nowadays.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 1:24 pm   #16
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
It's a distant memory but I seem to remember that Toshiba brought out a machine with this format but I don't think it was marketed. I did have a sales booklet for it but it must have got scrapped when I closed the shop. John.
I think that was the "LVR" format John. The high density tape ran at high speed past a stationary head which "Clicked" to the next track every X number of minutes. I did see an advert showing a home machine and a portable device with a camera. As you say though, I don't think it was ever produced commercially...
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 4:45 pm   #17
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
It's fascinating to hear about them now but at the time, what a headache! Philips style cassettes specially adapted for the format for example.

Not long after Philips and Grundig teamed up with their V2000 format. At least they could play each others recordings.

I would imagine the SVR cassettes will be rarer than the machines themselves nowadays.
Ive personally never seen an SVR Tape but I do know of a service that offers SVR transfer to DVD along with most of the other recording video tape standards so I guess there must be some around.
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 5:14 pm   #18
Electricdreams
Hexode

At the risk of going off thread.. there is another format that not many know about..

LVR, Longitude Video Recording.
Fixed head, fast tape speed and many tracks like a 8 track cartridge...
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 5:44 pm   #19
electronicskip
Nonode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longit...ideo_Recording
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 10:36 pm   #20
vhs doctor
Pentode

Hi

I have both machines one philips N1700 VCR-LP format and one grundig SVR4004. Recently i found prerecorded tapes for the N1700.
Does anyone knows if the Grundig SVR can record and playback the VCR LP cassettes.
Both of these machines are unused for years i have read that the glue on the video heads especially on Philips are fragile due to years what can i do to prevent the damage in video heads
Closed Thread