UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2017, 6:53 pm   #1
GW3OQK Andrew
Pentode

Default T109

Recently there was a suggestion of a T109 companion to the R109. I think it has appeared for auction but called an Type 1109.
Andrew
Old 2nd Oct 2017, 7:22 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: T109

Andrew,

"Type Numbers" when applied to military radios usually refer to either RAF or Navy equipments. I can't think of any Army equipments that have a type number. That's confusing because the R109 is a well known WWII era receiver.

I had a quick look in the RAF catalogue, AP2463 to see if the number "1109" appears anywhere. It doesn't - and I have an OCR copy so I searched electronically rather than by eye.

However, I have now cleared up the mystery - though the rules of this forum mean that I can't provide a link to pictures and details of the item. What I can say is that the equipment itself is a "Type T109" transmitter. The auction heading actually says "Vintage WW2 Military Transmitter Type 1109 for restoration" - so the heading doesn't match what's on the label of the equipment. I attach a photo of the front panel.

The interesting and odd thing about this that it is clearly related to the R109 receiver - judging by the style of the front panel layout and knobs. I've never heard of the equipment myself, though I have been interested in British Army radios for well over 25 years. It has an Army cat no: ZA11296.

Is this a clever spoof, I wonder? If it is, then it has expertly done. But my strong suspicion is that this is a very well constructed but home made spoof. One clue is in the knob labels. I can see they are modern transfers then varnished over. And internally I can see a relatively modern style relay.

The third clue is in the quality of the wiring and soldering. Definitely amateurish of the worst kind - I'm sorry to say. And final clue is the "meccano style" strap holding the chassis together.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	150218  
Closed Thread