UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2004, 8:30 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Unused capacitor section

In the Bush DAC90A I am working on, I have fitted a replacement 32+32+32uF capacitor in place of the original 32+32uF one. At the moment I have left the third section disconnected.

From the point of view of capacitor life, do you think it would be worth paralleling it with the second section (after the decoupling resistor) instead?

Since the decoupling resistor is 10K, the extra capacitance won't make any difference to the hum level. But it seems a shame to have it doing nothing!

Before someone suggests that I fit a 32+32uF instead (which would be the correct thing to do) - I don't have any, but I do have quite a few 32+32+32uF ones.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Aug 2004, 8:52 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Unused capacitor section

Hi Paul.

Yes seems a shame to waste it. At least if you parallel it after the 10k it will keep it formed in case you need to replace one of the pair again at any time.

Rich.
Old 11th Aug 2004, 12:02 am   #3
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

So long as it is after the resistor, it should be OK, but if you connect it in parrallel with the first section, you run the risk of rectifier damage at switch on (I know, my favourite topic again..... )

Jim.
Old 11th Aug 2004, 1:10 am   #4
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Paul

Any other place you could use an electrolytic? How about cathode bypass of R14?

Norm
Old 11th Aug 2004, 6:46 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

This set doesn't need a cathode resistor bypass cap. I did this in another set using one of these caps - it worked fine even though it was only running at a few volts.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread