UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2008, 8:35 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Bellset No: 20 - Brass or Black?

I have just acquired a GPO Bell-Set No:20, and was wondering what sort of finish the gongs and the switch-plate should have? One gong is copper (stamped '17'), the other brass (stamped '2A'). Both are 2 1/2" diameter. The engraved switch-plate is manufactured from brass, and has a smooth finish. I suspect that some attempt has been made to clean the metalwork in the past.

Whilst I am quite happy to clean up the brass-work and gongs, a glance at britishtelephones.com shows that the metalwork is finished in black! Now, I rather like the black with white figures (I could use the 'AVO' wax-stick technique to pick them out), but was wondering:
  • Were two versions of Bell-set No:20 available: one with brass finish, the other in black?
  • If I wish to revert to black finish, what should I use? It is obvious that the brass is smooth and not keyed, and I don't want to score the brass to get paint (or whatever) to stick to it.

What does the panel think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bellset_20.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	16291  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 12:40 pm   #2
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Bellset No: 20 - Brass or Black?

Hi Russel,
the original finish was a black bronze effect. This was also used on parts of candlestick phones (not the main stem though, which was painted). The GPO never went in for polished brass.
To get the bronze effect the brass parts were copper plated and then heated up so that the copper turned to black oxide which was then lightly polished.
I have never experimented with re-plating etc.. I do know that there are phone restorers that do re-plate stuff.

Cheers
Andy
Old 7th Apr 2008, 7:00 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Hi Russel,

I have never experimented with re-plating etc.. I do know that there are phone restorers that do re-plate stuff.

Cheers
Andy
Andy,

Thanks! I guss I could experiment (I haven't had a go at such like since I was a youth), but I'd do it on a test-piece first . If it doesn't work, I shall seek out someone who can do it properly.

I have a few nickel(?) plated 2 1/2" gongs kicking around; the sort with the matte-silver finish as found in type 300's. Is it possible to copper-plate them without any pre-treatment? One of the gongs on my No:20 bell-set is pitted, and - if I could - I would replace them.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 12th Apr 2008, 12:12 am   #4
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know if its of any help but I heres a picture of my bell set No. 20 in totally original condition. (couldnt get a very good picture because my workbench was in the way)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bellset.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	16369  
Old 12th Apr 2008, 9:42 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthelemming View Post
I don't know if its of any help but I heres a picture of my bell set No. 20 in totally original condition. (couldnt get a very good picture because my workbench was in the way)
Very helpful; thanks! I concur that the black looks better than brass-finish (which I consider to be, well, 'brassy'...).

I see your version has a DC bell attached. Did you do it or did it come like that?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Apr 2008, 1:55 pm   #6
samthelemming
Retired Dormant Member

The DC bell has always been on it, It came from a police station is all I know, i assumed they all had one, but looking at the circuit diagram I can't see it on there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bellset no20 inside.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	16400   Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit diagram bellset no20.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	16401  
Closed Thread