UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2018, 10:48 am   #1
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Advance E2 Sig Gen Mains Transformer

Hello,
I have purchased an Advance E2 Sig Gen. It's a bit scruffy but all the parts are there. The 6X5GT rectifier has tested U/S at 35%/22% and 25M cathode leakage but I have a good spare. The 6SN7GT is 100%. The 6J6 has internal shorts so I've ordered a replacement. I've downloaded the circuit from this Forum and also the Radio Museum and both circuits show a separate heater winding for the rectifier. However, on mine there is only one heater winding feeding all 3 valves. The transformer is almost certainly original - no evidence of past replacement and looks identical to all the pictures I've seen of the internals of those owned by others. I'll live with it for now, but it's not great I guess to have the full HT stress across the cathode/heater of the 6X5GT (one side of the heater winding being earthed to chassis). Any thoughts? I suppose I could fit another heater transformer for the rectifier as there is enough room for a small one. Cheers, Jerry
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:29 am   #2
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Default Re: Advance E2 Sig Gen Mains Transformer

The 6X5GT is intended to cope with that, though some proved to be unreliable.
The ex-USSR equivalents of more recent manufacture (6u5c/ 6C5S) seem OK.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 3:42 pm   #3
winston_1
Hexode

Replace the 6X5 with 1N4007 diodes with around 50 to 100 ohm series resistors.
Old 20th Sep 2018, 4:50 pm   #4
cathoderay57
Nonode

Thanks for the advice in the last 2 posts. The 1N4007 solution is easier and cheaper than an extra transformer. I'm just fitting a replacement HT capacitor because the old one had definitely gone south. Also ordered Class Y caps to replace the mains filters. Cheers, Jerry
Old 24th Sep 2018, 8:19 pm   #5
cathoderay57
Nonode

I decided to live with the 6X5GT in the end as it worked well. I had to increase the initial HT dropper (the one connected to the rectifier cathode) from 560R to 1k to get the HT down to limits. About 6 resistors has gone high and the 1000pF capacitors were leaky and were replaced. Finally the mod/CW switch didn't work so that was changed as well. I think this Unit has had quite a hard life, but hopefully will now give a few more years service. Mods please close.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 8:33 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

For the record I have a E2 Sig Generator for sale,£15 collect from Newark Hamfestival Saturday.

PM if interested
Old 25th Sep 2018, 4:32 pm   #7
cathoderay57
Nonode

Hi, Thanks for the kind offer, that's very good vfm. I paid more than that for one that needed a lot of work. However, one is all I need.

Cheers, Jerry
Closed Thread