UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Sep 2018, 11:57 am   #1
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Help Needed!

First, can I apologise for the cryptic thread title, but I couldn’t think of a short yet helpful one!

I am assessing the feasibility of building a replica of the Gee Trainer Type 48. This is a unit from the 1940’s which simulated the signals from the Gee transmitters and was used to train aircraft navigators how to use the Gee system.

I have a pdf of AP2560C, downloaded from http://blunham.com/Radar/index.html which has a lot of detail, although frustratingly nothing on the various inductors in the unit.

Examples of the unit exist at both the RAF Henlow Museum and the Duxford Radio Museum. The Duxford example can be seen here –
http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/r...ee-type48.html

Unless anyone has an unwanted example lurking under their bench (unlikely!), I am wondering whether anybody on here who is located close to either Henlow or Duxford (or even better, involved with either museum) who would be willing to go and take photographs and measurements of a unit, including internal details. Of course, this presupposes that either museum would be willing to remove their unit from its case, but I would be surprised if they wouldn’t, by prior arrangement.

Is there anyone who would be willing to help with this? Of course any costs would be reimbursed.

Many thanks,

Andy
Old 11th Sep 2018, 1:36 pm   #2
crestavega
Pentode

Default Re: Help Needed!

I have a friendly ex- colleague in Cambridge who *may* be interested in doing this, not on the forum but I will run it by him.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 2:24 pm   #3
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Many thanks! If a willing volunteer does come forward, I'd obviously have a chat to confirm what I'm trying to find out.

Andy
Old 12th Sep 2018, 8:52 pm   #4
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Andy

A very nice chap at the Henlow museum took a great many measurements for me from their TR9 so that I could make a correctly scaled model for my Stirling. I just sent an email to them directly. You have to imagine that the Museum is full of enthusiasts just waiting to be asked for help!

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tr9 22.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	169221  
Old 15th Sep 2018, 9:08 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I can have a word with Alf, and pop to the museum no problem - May be a little delay - life is rather hectic here.