UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2012, 10:54 am   #1
barretter
Heptode

Default Nagra III head changing

I've just acquired a Nagra III and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to change the heads as I would like to install a half-track mono head in place of the full track mono it currently has, presuming that a suitable head can be obtained. Many thanks for any information.
Old 23rd Jun 2012, 2:48 pm   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Nagra III head changing

Have a look at these.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83149
Let me know if they are any good to you.
Old 24th Jun 2012, 11:13 am   #3
barretter
Heptode

Well those are quarter track stereo and meant for a BSR deck so they're not really what I'm looking for, but thanks for the offer.
Old 24th Jun 2012, 11:25 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

It was worth a look.
Old 24th Jun 2012, 12:57 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

Nagra/Kudeleski still seem to be on the go... unless they've done a quad/goodmans and become merely a brand of convenience.

Did they make their own heads, or did they use Bogen, I wonder?

David
Old 24th Jun 2012, 1:53 pm   #6
TIMTAPE
Octode

Not sure if you could obtain a half track mono head. I doubt Nagra made them but a half track stereo head from the later Nagra 4 series might fit, wiring it for the top track only.

Assuming the III heads are physically the same as the IV series (and I'm not totally sure about that) it's not that hard to change them over. There are no wires to solder on the IV series as the heads have pins on the head's underside which plug into sockets on the machine.

The two adjustments are for head tilt and azimuth. All other settings are fixed.

Here's a photo of Nagra 4.2 stereo play head shown upside down. Note the four connecting pins at the rear for the signal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nagra 4.2 pb head.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	67988  
Old 25th Jun 2012, 11:15 am   #7
barretter
Heptode

Thanks for that, Timtape. The next question is, I guess, is it possible to remove the head from the top as access from below is blocked the main motor. As you can't see in my photograph there is a screw in a tag attached to the headblock : do I unscrew that to extract the head? I only ask because I really don't want to foul this machine up.
I have the horrible feeling that once I get the head off that there will only be two holes for pins to fit into.
I was thinking of asking somebody like Summertone to make me a head for me : is that just wishful thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nagra head 005.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	68033  
Old 25th Jun 2012, 1:12 pm   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

As I said I'm no expert on the Nagra III. From looking at your photo, it looks as if the head mounting system was changed at the IV series which provided access to the central nut from above. No need to even open the machine up.

If half track is what you are after I'd suggest a better choice would have been a later model half track stereo unit, or even a mono model and swap the mono head for stereo. A lot easier than trying to modify a Nagra III machine, I'd suggest.

I believe too that the late 1950's Nagra III while a trail blazer in its day was limited by having to use germanium transistors. All the later models of course used silicon semis.

Anyway hopefully one of the real Nagra experts will chime in here to clarify.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 25th Jun 2012 at 1:14 pm. Reason: extra thought
Old 26th Jun 2012, 11:09 pm   #9
barretter
Heptode

I've had a closer look at the playback head and it has two wires from its base going through the chassis to an amplifier, so it's different to the IV series modular system as you said.
Closed Thread