UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2012, 6:17 pm   #1
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Grundig tk141

Hi
It was fine until I took the motor out for a clean, doen't work now, only very weakly on 120v. Checking round with the Avo it appears that one of the windings is o/c, if only I had left it alone, still i suppose it comes down to one question, has anyone got a spare motor they dont want. It's a shame as the rest of the machine is in good overall nick and very nice cosmetically.
When this sort of thing happens it makes you feel technically incompotent. Why didn't I leave it alone!
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 6:28 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grundig tk141

Why did you take the motor out, was it faulty before? Did you strip the motor ie. remove the lower bearing plate?

Colin.
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 6:36 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Is itthe same motor as in the TK140, I wonder?
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 9:42 pm   #4
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

I took the motor out as there was a lot of dust and fluff around it, also the motor seemed fairly tight to me so I was going add a tiny drop machine oil, good intentions have worked in the past but not this time.
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 10:13 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

Alan...

Yes, it is the same motor.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 8:17 am   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

As Steve has confirmed that it is the same motor, I can help.

I have a complete (but not fully working) TK140 that I had planned to take to the auction at WB in July.
(The motor is OK.)

Complete machine avilable for, say £3 if it is of any interest.
Collect from Harpenden, or if you arent attending, perhaps somene could collect from there on your behalf.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 11:46 am   #7
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Alan
Thanks for your kind offer but it looks as if your too far away for me as it seems you live in Dorset, I live here in london and dont have transport.
Many thanks anyway.
Colin.

PS If only I had left the darn thing alone.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 5:54 pm   #8
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Are you sure a winding is O/c & I would check this out before you embark further. A tight motor assembly of the type used in the 140 series can often be resolved by use of the "The Manchester screwdriver" gently all around the body of the motor without power.

Colin.
Old 5th Jun 2012, 12:56 pm   #9
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Grundig tk141

Thanks
The Manchester Screwdriver is a new one on me but will give it a go next time I'm out in the workshop.
Old 6th Jun 2012, 12:03 am   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

I've heard "Birmingham screwdriver" and in Derby, "Ilkeston screwdriver"!

I suspect there are a good many regional variations .....
Old 11th Jun 2012, 7:46 pm   #11
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Update on TK141
Well it was the motor primary that was o/c, the copper wire had broken at the solder tag, difficult to see without my glasses on. I must have done it somehow when removing the motor, a classic case of clumsy sod syndrome, anyway its working well now, apart from the belts, guess that's another story, will keep you informed.
Old 16th Jun 2012, 10:17 am   #12
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

All going well now after replacing belts. One question though, is it normal for the motor laminations to get quite hot after an hours use?

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 16th Jun 2012 at 11:53 am. Reason: Made it a question.
Old 16th Jun 2012, 1:22 pm   #13
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

They do run hot , have you resolved the tightness ?

Colin.
Old 16th Jun 2012, 1:38 pm   #14
brockencomb
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, a little oil seems to have done the trick. i am quite surprised how good this machine is, seeing that it's a fairly simple and quite well made for a domestic machine. Wind and rewind isn't the fastest i ever seen though but it gets there.The condition of this machine is very good, possibly stored in the bottom of a wardrobe for many years, will post a picture when completed.
Closed Thread