UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2005, 7:22 pm   #1
Chris_C
Hexode

Default Martel 301 Mains / Battery Tape Recorder Any Info Please?

I have one of the above tape recorders: "Martel All Transistor Model 301" and am wondering if anyone has any info of any sort regarding it.

Basically it is mains battery, 9 volts from 6 'D' cells or main at 115 /117 volts AC.

Taking 5.3/4 reels, it has the 3 speeds 1.7/8; 3.3/4; 7.1/2 and unusually 3 seperate heads. Jacks for full monitoring facilities are provided.

A cursory look inside reveals that all of the drive functions are by idler wheels, not the dreaded drive belts.

The circuitry is all printed circuit. most of the transistors are 2SB187 with what appears to be an output pair 2SB272. Both types are listed in the D.A.T.A. Transistors 1966 book on Paul's Valve Data CD.
Build quality seems to be way above the sort of 60s transistor stuff generally.

Any information would be of interest as I've not seen anything like this before. I have not tried it as there are lots of electrolytics to check first
Old 16th Jun 2005, 8:02 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Martel 301 Mains / Battery Tape Recorder Any Info Please?

After a bit of googling, it seems Martel were importers and distributors of Uher equipment:-

http://64.41.119.200/martelshistory.htm

Some manuals listed here:-

http://www.stereomanuals.com/manuals/uher/index.htm

Perhaps your machine is a badge engineered Uher. ,that might explain the build quality , over to our reel to reel experts! .

Regards, Mick.

Last edited by mickjjo; 16th Jun 2005 at 8:06 pm.
Old 16th Jun 2005, 9:06 pm   #3
reelguy
Heptode

Cool Re: Martel 301 Mains / Battery Tape Recorder Any Info Please?

I haven't heard of a Martel battery portable before, and thought at first it was probably one those cheap Jap made recorders without a capstan and pinch wheel. But reading on it does sound like it could be a {Badged} Uher.. Any chance of Pics of the outside and inside ? Sounds very interesting . Reelguy
Old 16th Jun 2005, 11:36 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Interesting, the recorder has history with UHER yet the speed's and battery configuration are different, the UHER recorders where 4 speed and 5 sell, it would be nice to see some pictures also it would be a good idea to contact Geoff from get reel

http://www.bassboy.com.au/getreel/site/contact.htm

Old 17th Jun 2005, 12:36 pm   #5
Chris_C
Hexode

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I've taken a couple of photos, not too good in quality to keep the size down. The head cover is not normally in the middle of the left tape spool .

The case is leatherette covered hardwood ply and very solid. The chassis is quite heavy gauge pressed steel. It is very dirty as you can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Martel1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martel2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	867  

Last edited by Chris_C; 17th Jun 2005 at 12:44 pm.
Old 17th Jun 2005, 1:01 pm   #6
reelguy
Heptode

Exclamation Re: Martel 301 Mains / Battery Tape Recorder Any Info Please?

Hi,Re the Martel recorder. Can't say I recognise it but I think it is more likely to be Japanese with those kind of sockets and switch. But I am only guessing. I dont think it is a rebadged Uher now though. Good luck playijng with it {Fixing it I mean} . Reelguy. Thanks for Pics
Old 17th Jun 2005, 1:07 pm   #7
Chris_C
Hexode

While reassembling it, I've just noticed that under the 1.7/8 tape speed is marked 15/16. The capstan spindle has a, removeable, double size sleeve (5mm and 10 mm) which is unscrewed to give the slower speed.
Old 17th Jun 2005, 8:36 pm   #8
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Looks as if there was a Stereo version of this machine, its not got any UHER traits in t but has some features found on the SONY and AKAI recorders yet the machine I would say is a unique design

someone who has a few other models

http://reel2reeltexas.com/vinListL.html

see if this guy can help

Closed Thread