UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:17 am   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Loran ? radio mod and 27Mhz walkie talkies

Back in the early 70's I modded a MW hand held radio. I think I removed some turns from the ferrite coil and adjusted a couple of IFT can slugs to get up to top band, the marker was on then and I think it was Loran. My question is, does anyone out there have a recording of that beacon? As I would like to hear it again, it had a musical note to it that was repeated.

Around the same time I bought from I think Henrys radio in London a pair of 27MHz walkie talkies, fairly heavy with the telescopic aerial, Hammerite blue in colour and aliminium cases. i think they were German. I have never seen any since then and would like to know more, does anyone have any info please?
Old 12th Feb 2019, 2:25 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Loran ? radio mod and 27Mhz walkie talkies

This one?
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&postcount=16
Old 12th Feb 2019, 6:47 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Of course, the jingle bells sounded different, depending on where you were. Different stations would have different amplitudes.

I, too miss it.

David
Old 12th Feb 2019, 6:50 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Wasn't the "Jingle bells" on Top-band the Decca Navigator system?

I remember LORAN as a raspy crackle/pulse-signal that sounded more like car ignition-interference.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 6:55 pm   #5
dsergeant
Octode

Jingle Bells is HiFix markers and have a musical note. Loran is totally different - you can still hear the 100kHz transmissions - rather like ignition noise but varying as the different chains interact with each other. Jingle Bells was around 1900kHz, Loran in Europe around 1975kHz with a USA chain sometimes heard around 1850kHz. I recall vividly when Loran closed down (1980?), bang on midnight that New Year's eve each transmitter switched off in sequence to leave a nice quiet band. Sadly no recording of the event.

Dave
Old 13th Feb 2019, 10:05 am   #6
Malcolm T
Hexode

I listened to the recording, that's it, the Decca, those diddly da notes, I haven't heard that since the 70's, ahhh sweet music to my ears, twiddling the IFT's, fiddling the ferrite rod coil and hearing that was an acheivement on a cheap hand radio. And listening to the Sunday morning top band net in East London. A good job you have a recording. Thank you AC/HL for that, brilliant! I will have to read up on the Decca system, very interesting. It definitely was not Loran.

And also listening to the US forces network baseball games relayed from Germany on medium wave late at night.
Closed Thread