UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2016, 9:30 pm   #1
Goodizzy
Pentode

Default Vortexion tape deck head condition

Good afternoon,

I have been reading this site for a number of years and have finally decided to register and post. I own a variety of UK kit, (mostly 50s and early 60s valve equipment) enjoying the quality of engineering. I am located in the US currently and so use a step-up transformer to power most of it.

I currently have a bead on a Vortexion WVA or WVB wearite tape deck. The unit is being sold as is, only the motors and tape heads portion. (No PS or replay/record amp). I have restored a junker Brenell Mk5 and am interested in doing something similar with this deck. I am not located close enough to the seller to look in person, but have received this image of the tape heads.
Is there any way to tell the condition of the heads from the image? I don't wish to fork out cash for a unit with shot heads.

I would appreciate any insight or comment. Cheers from across the pond!

-Goodizzy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	117984  

Last edited by Goodizzy; 6th Jan 2016 at 9:48 pm.
Old 7th Jan 2016, 10:11 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Vortexion tape deck head condition

To get a good idea of the head face's condition we need a really good macro photo of that head face. Even so that wont tell us if it is electrically sound.

If it still has enough metal left on it, a head can usually be relapped.
Over the time I had my old Ferrograph Series 5 I think I relapped the record/play head twice or three times.
Old 8th Jan 2016, 1:29 am   #3
Goodizzy
Pentode

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get a better picture but your point about it being electrically sound irregardless is well taken.

If I was so inclined, would it be feasible to fit other heads, (ie Ampex etc.) as long as the electronics were kosher with those heads? Will other heads even fit? I had read that the deck is bombproof and well engineered, so I'd like to use the transport in some way.
Old 8th Jan 2016, 2:41 pm   #4
whyperion
Hexode

There are other threads on The Wearite decks supplied by Ferrograph on this site, and also on http://www.ferrographworld.com/spares.html and http://museumofmagneticsoundrecordin...errograph.html.

Other heads may need different drive characteristics from the valve and component line ups recommened, but as Ferrograph decks were used in their own designs and those of other manufacturers there should be no problem that cannot be overcome if other makers heads were substituted.
Old 8th Jan 2016, 5:33 pm   #5
llama
Octode

The heads simply plug in (with retaining screws/brackets) into octal sockets i.e. valve-holders. 4 of the 8 holes in the octal socket are used.

If you can source an octal plug, such as the base of a defunct valve, and can find a way to secure a non-original head, you should be sorted. Due to the pressure pads, the head-wrap position shouldn't be too critical (by eye) and the azimuth and possibly the height are adjustable on these decks.
Graham
Old 8th Jan 2016, 5:53 pm   #6
terry123
Pentode

Hi

Looking at the tape guide in the middle of the tape path (between the heads) suggests the deck has seen moderate use from the wear of the passing tape. The earlier heads are long lived particularly those upto and including the series 5 machines. Bear in mind that Ferrograph heads will need a head lift transformer on replay low to high impedance. On record they will need a high impedance source. The series 4 manual of the tape deck - covers the complete spec if you can procure a copy.

Kind regards

Terry
Old 10th Jan 2016, 1:47 pm   #7
Goodizzy
Pentode

Thank you very much for all the replies. This has been most informative!
Old 31st Jan 2016, 9:23 pm   #8
Goodizzy
Pentode

I've received the tape deck. I took a snapshot of the front. The color is a greenish gray with the counter saying 'Wearite Ferrograph.' Perhaps this isn't Vortexion or maybe they interchanged components frequently?

The erase head has 'F8' on it, the playback/record head 'I8' or the like as well as being stamped AP100329. It appears to have that extra spot for another tape head. I'd like to make a nice tape echo with it. I will give the tapeheads a good clean with methylene spirits.

Can these be mounted in a heavy duty plinth directly or do they need to be on rubber spacers like my Brenell? I would like to mount them in a better plinth as I have the tooling to do so.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	168
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	119333  
Old 1st Feb 2016, 12:30 am   #9
llama
Octode

I think that is a series 2. (or 3?). By the time series 4 was released the main selector knob was the same colour as the deck. An Internet search for images should indicate which.

Graham
Old 1st Feb 2016, 12:33 am   #10
Goodizzy
Pentode

Thanks for the reply. I believe it to be the series 3 recorder. Also of note is the speed selector switch is labeled 'L' and 'H'. Any indication which two speeds these are?

Last edited by Goodizzy; 1st Feb 2016 at 12:50 am.
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 10:09 pm   #11
Goodizzy
Pentode

Here is a picture of the underside. I have just cleaned it up a bit. I havn't checked any components for tolerance yet. Are these particular Hunts caps problematic?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	150
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	119462  
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 1:06 am   #12
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodizzy View Post
Thanks for the reply. I believe it to be the series 3 recorder. Also of note is the speed selector switch is labeled 'L' and 'H'. Any indication which two speeds these are?
Probably L is 3.75ips and H 7.5ips.

Tim
Old 6th Feb 2016, 1:38 am   #13
flywheel
Tetrode

The British company "Hunts" capacitors have a very bad reputation when it comes to signal caps, but the motor-run cap that does the phase-shift job for the capstan motor in Ferrograph/Wearite tape decks is usually fine.
Old 6th Feb 2016, 12:53 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hunts were the dominant make in the UK for a while, so often get castigated. The root problem was universal however, paper dialectric. The encapsulation (wax, plastic etc.) made little difference. Some are better than others, but all paper capacitors are problematic. Hunts' electrolytics are no worse than most others.
Old 6th Feb 2016, 2:47 pm   #15
Goodizzy
Pentode

Thanks for clearing that up gents. I have had other equipment with those terrible black Hunts signal caps and wasn't sure if it applied across the spectrum.

I am hoping to return to the deck this weekend sometime if I can ever get a moment to myself!
Closed Thread