UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2016, 8:20 pm   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Belt dimensions Philips N4418 etc and N4504 etc

Does anyone have the specifications of the belt dimensions for the Philips N4418 (N4414, N4416 and probably a few more), and also the N4504 (N4506 etc). (Although the basic mechanical design is virtually identical on these two series I believe that the differences there are mean that one or more of the belts are not the same).

I know there are sellers on eBay for instance selling complete belt kits, but I've found a local source of belts, however, they are sold by dimension, and the the seller has no idea which machines they fit. They all seem to be 1.2 mm square cross section which seems about right.
Old 16th Jan 2016, 5:12 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Belt dimensions Philips N4418 etc and N4504 etc

Only a few years back these were in good supply. As long as size and tension are the same, I would try one even though they are not a round section. If may work and will have not cost you much. However as the profile is not the same they may not wear well over time. All the units you mention are good tape recorders - Philips built some of the very best in the mid-price range. Edward (ex Pye/Philips)
Old 21st Jan 2016, 5:53 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

For what it's worth, I recently took a flyer and ordered a set of belts for the N4418 from a supplier in Germany. There are numerous sellers all offering ostensibly the same item at varying prices! Mine cost £8-something plus modest postage.

The original belts were square section, and quite loose. The ones that have arrived are round section; three are the same unstretched diameter, and the remaining counter belt was smaller of course in both diameter and cross-section. I found that the capstan belt fitted fine, but the winding reel belts needed to be stretched slightly more to get them to fit. The material looks good quality, but only time will tell I suppose. What I don't know is how much the originals have stretched over the years. The old counter belt had turned to goo.

The machine works fine now.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 8:32 pm   #4
mike3300
Retired Dormant Member

In the webstore of mfb freaks you can order also belts and lots of other stuff. The belts are square section and the size is perfect. I don't know if this shop also sends to destinations outside Holland... http://www.mfbfreaks.com/ecommerce-s...keyword/n4418/

Regards mike
Closed Thread