UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2016, 2:54 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default Sharp tape deck parts.

Hello, I am putting this request for help/suggestions here because although it is a computer it does use a cassete tape deck (Sharp MZ 80 K.) A set of belts and a 'tyre' (if that is the correct term) that goes on a swinging arm that drives the tape drive posts. Falword/reverse I think. is needed. It is a capital 'T' section.
I have tried the Sharp users club/forum but it appears dead.
Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.
All the best.
Geoff.
Old 9th Jan 2016, 2:58 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp tape deck parts.

Hi Geoff,

I think you will need to try to source generic parts, as the originals will have been obsolete for many years.

Can you post some pictures and measurements?

Happy new year,

N.
Old 11th Jan 2016, 5:02 pm   #3
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Nick thank you for your good wishes for the New Year, the same to you. I have the address of a belt supplier and have sent off, awaiting the order, the major problem is the broken tyre which I think provides back tension or something.
I have an idea about that and will return to let you know the results.
All the best.
Geoff.
Old 16th Jan 2016, 3:51 am   #4
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello back again. The tyre that fits on a 'pulley' for want of a better word I have replaced with an 'O' ring. It is a cheap relativly soft one. Because the original had a wide contact area and had a thin profile then I thought that it would not 'drive' properly also there were clearence problems.
Mounted 'O' ring/s onto the shank of a 11.5mm. drill bit and spun it at about 1000 RPM. Made a very sharp cutter. Put 4 rings up against each other because 1 only ring tended to slide along the shank. Very small cuts and cut the ring back until the face was flat and as wide as the max. thickness of the ring.
I hope that makes sense. It works. Soft rubber so it has enough friction, had some harder ones (Viton) but they were shiny and slippery.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 16th Jan 2016, 2:52 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Clever stuff Geoff, I'm impressed. Well done.
Old 19th Jan 2016, 2:06 pm   #6
Geoff 555
Heptode

Thank you Nick it is appreciated.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:26 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

CPC supplied Cassette Tyres a while back when I last placed an order for several types. They were listed under the name of Reel Tyres with part numbers starting with e.g: AS00100, AS00099 etc.
Old 21st Jan 2016, 12:34 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Oh dear, seems supply of these from CPC are soon to be discontinued, as they are only listing 3 options (whereas, when I placed my order, they had 15 types). Mind you that was some 5 years back !

http://cpc.farnell.com/reel-table-ty...earchLookAhead

Don't time whizz by once you reach 65 years of age ?!
Old 21st Jan 2016, 1:09 pm   #9
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello Thank you very much for the info, that is very useful to know, I will investigate. It does seem a shame that things are disapearing - firms and parts. I guess it's only 'us old uns' that repair things. ( appologies to the younger members!!).
PAH 65, 10 years older and disintagrating rapidly.
All the best.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread