UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2012, 1:46 pm   #1
ujcr02!
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dansette Cassette Tape Recorder CT115

Hi there
I have recently recieved this tape recorder and I'm trying to find out more about it. I have trawled the web and simply cannot find anything about it, not even a valid search on its description at all.
It looks to have never been used, all cables have an unused look, the instruction and Guarentee card are still in mint condition. Microphone is still in its plastic bag! Even the case is in pretty good condition. I just want to know some history about it. When was it manufactured? Is it a collectable? Should I use it?
I'm not a collector but would hate to use such a well preserved item.
Any ideas would be of great assistance.
Thanks and regards.

ujcr02!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette1.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	68041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dansette2.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	68042  
Old 25th Jun 2012, 2:24 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Dansette Cassette Tape Recorder CT115

This is a fairly generic machine made in Taiwan in the early to mid seventies. An identical unit was sold by Dixons under the Avenger label. The circuit is fairly simple with four transistors and no frills to worry about.
Neil
Old 25th Jun 2012, 2:34 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

As Neil says, from an engineering point of view, it's nothing special, cheap and cheerful sums it up well.

However, the Dansette name is really in vogue at the moment so it might sell for much more than the £5-10 it would otherwise be worth. Put it on eBay and see, if you're interested.

Nick.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 2:43 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It does seem to be in absolutely pristine condition which will increase interest. I wouldn't be surprised if the belts needed changing though, as these eventually deteriorate even if not used.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 2:46 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, you could probably legitimately describe it as "NOS" (= New Old Stock), in other words, something that's old but never been used and still in its original packaging with documentation etc.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 9:10 am   #6
ujcr02!
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies guys, being is such good condition I think I may pack it up and store it for another 30 years.

Thanks again.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 1:37 pm   #7
Focus Diode
Octode

Rank took over the Dansette branding around 1970. It looks very much like a Bush but without the tree logo.

Nice to see such NOS turn up!

Brian
Old 27th Jun 2012, 4:08 pm   #8
brenellic2000
Octode

The packaging is a bit OTT for such a mundane device!

Dansette only survived with Rank from 1966-1970 when it and Perdio became part of Electro-Impex of Hong Kong and thereafter they were marketed 'Tonesta'; I suspect this is under Rank, but the address on the warranty card will give us a clue. Ipso facto the early Japanese-made Dansettes came from National.

Barry
Old 27th Jun 2012, 9:03 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
Ipso facto the early Japanese-made Dansettes came from National.
...and there's a 1970s (apparently 1975-ish?) Rank/Dansette radio cassette which is obviously a Toshiba.

Compare http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/dansett...r_dct_250.html with http://www.deathwishindustries.com/h...20Recorder.gif

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 27th Jun 2012 at 9:08 pm.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 7:37 am   #10
brenellic2000
Octode

Hi Nick,

I think the only main-stream, British designed and built cassette decks of the late 1960s/early 1970s were Thorn's (a very good machine). I believe Garrard made a few to their own design while NEAL attended to the high-end stuff (and still make them for legal recorders to order) - while Monolith made a 3-motor computer drive... otherwise they were all 'foreign'!

Rank did form a joint venture with Toshiba in the UK in 1978 (it only lasted until 1981) but Dansette had long been sold.

Barry
Old 28th Jun 2012, 8:40 am   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very interesting Barry. No doubt, it's all in your book, which I'll be buying soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
Rank did form a joint venture with Toshiba in the UK in 1978 (it only lasted until 1981) but Dansette had long been sold.
When do you think that radio/cassette I posted the links to was made, then? It's definitely a Toshiba underneath, but clearly has both Rank and Dansette branding on the front.

Nick.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 3:07 pm   #12
brenellic2000
Octode

Hi Nick,

It certainly looks early 1970s; perhaps Rank were granted a licence to market it as a Dansette in the UK by Impex for a while as part of the goodwill? Such marketing agreements are never clear-cut.

Never did take much interest in cassettes! They lack the character of open reel and the many unique solutions to common problem.

Barry
Closed Thread