UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2011, 8:19 pm   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Sony TC 500A

I just picked up (using the term loosely-it is darn heavy) one of these.

It appears to be 7.5 / 3.75 ips, 7.25" spool, 4 track stereo, with a valve amplifier.

Does anyone have any data or information about them?

Or any comments?
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 11:43 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC 500A

I have one of these and somewhere have the circuit diagram.

"Heavy" isn't even close!!

Robert
Old 23rd Oct 2011, 11:55 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Nice machine, I used to have one many years ago, it dates from 1964, when Sony really did have a reputation for quality. I do remember it was one heavy beast!

Mark
Old 24th Oct 2011, 2:08 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Ditto. Quite possibly the idler wheel rubbers have gone hard and will be noisy and slip.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 6:43 am   #5
tri-comp
Heptode

Alan,

The service-manual is here: http://www.sportsbil.com/sony/TC/TC-500A.pdf

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 24th Oct 2011, 2:55 pm   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the comments and particularly, the link to the service manual.

It appears to have a reasonably high spec, certainly in the semi-professional end of the market rather than the usual domestic models.

This one looks to be in good condition, and the head doesnt look worn. All that remains is to see how (if) it works.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 3:28 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Hello Alan, they were a good machine, I serviced many of them when I worked for Sony many years ago, most of the Sony reel to reels were good, almost all the customers that brought them in wanted them serviced despite the costs involved when a full head replacement etc was needed, the TC366 (I think) was a very popular one I used to do all the drive and tape path and head replacement on the standard overhaul, I always had excellent feedback from the customers regarding bringing their machine back up to full spec. and most would not part with them which is a testiment in itself.

Lawrence.
Old 24th Oct 2011, 5:28 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Correction to post # 7 it was the TC630 that was the most popular one that came in for servicing, the TC366 was popular to but not as.
The latter being a later release.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Nov 2011, 8:43 pm   #9
harleyman75
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
I have one of these and somewhere have the circuit diagram.

"Heavy" isn't even close!!

Robert
Hi Robert, I have the same machine. Could you shed some light on the type and size of tapes you use?

Thanks,
Greg.
Old 25th Nov 2011, 10:21 pm   #10
bobbyball
Octode

Hi Greg, I tend to have mainly 7" tapes recorded at either 3 3/4 or 7 1/2 inches per second.
The recordings are generally 4 track stereo and tend to be of pop music from the 70's onwards, I used to religiously record the "Top 40" on a Sunday evening for example.

My Sony 500 is a relatively recent acquistion. A lot of my earlier recordings were done on a 4 track stereo "Wollensak/3M" machine that originally came from the States and was run on an autotransformer as it was a 120v machine. The recordings play "fast" on a machine running at the correct speed as it had induction motors designed to work at 50Hz - atttempts to make it run faster were abandoned in the end as we couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution!!

Robert
Old 1st Dec 2011, 6:08 pm   #11
harleyman75
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Robert, please bear with me----the recorder has 2 posts for the reels to fit on; is this the same setup on your machine. Do any 7" reels fit onto machine or should I look for something exact to fit ? Thanks again---Greg
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 9:12 am   #12
brenellic2000
Octode

All standard 'cine' or DIN (3-winged)-centre tape spools fit standard spool turntables - the only spools you may have problems with are the alloy Ferrograph Hub-lock type with a sprung pawl which engages in a rebate on Ferrgraph spindles, but which can jam on others' decks.

If you stick to plastic spools the tape will be at the right height and centre on the spools. Alloy spools may need to be shimmed with thin card to stop the tape rubbing on the spool flanges.

Barry
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 5:51 pm   #13
bobbyball
Octode

Hello, as my fellow Forum member says above, your best bet are the "standard" size plastic spools, plenty of used examples around!

Cheers

Robert
Old 26th Jun 2012, 12:37 am   #14
tafflawton
Retired Dormant Member

Hey, Folks, i just acquired a TC 500A in very good shape. I have been told that it needs to be lubricated every 50 hrs or so. Can anybody tellbe what lubes are necessary, and where to get same? Also,any other maintenance that may need to be done?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Taff Lawton.
Closed Thread